Has anyone recently ordered from Midwest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleforge

Reaction score
I placed an order last Tuesday and still do not have a projected ship / arrival date. I sent a message to customer service and waiting to hear back, but wanted to know how the company seems to be doing these days? I have ordered from them before but it's been several years. Thanks guys!

The problem is that Midwest is tied to Northern Brewer, and Northern Brewer in the recent past bought Adventures in Home Brewing and Austin Homebrew Supply, and they trimmed a few too many jobs. They have become unreliable in fulfilling orders and responding to customers. There is more than one thread about this on HBT. I have never ordered anything from Northern Brewer. I haven't ordered anything from Midwest since they were bought by Northern Brewer and their good pricing went away. I did order once from Adventures the year before they were bought, and their prices are now up. Find another place to give your business to. :mug:

There is more than one thread about this on HBT.
There definitely is!

I did recently order, and yeah it took about a week and a half for some Big Mouth Bubbler lids on sale. I wasn't in a rush so it was fine, and they actually sent me $10 off my next order as well for the wait.

They are just still behind w/ a lack of people to do the work in the warehouse, also a lot of what they order for their stock to be sold gets caught up in supply chain issues. Everything comes out of the MN warehouse and they are struggling to fill the jobs. They didn't let people go, just can't find workers. MN's got record low unemployment right now. which is great, but then this stuff happens.

Maybe they should pay more, I imagine they can afford it!

(My neighbor works there)

Sorry guys, I didn't know there was a thread already. I just popped on for a sec and quickly tossed the question out.

I had no idea NB was one and the same today. Why do they even have the two places separate? Not only that but they different specials. I stuck some ingredients in my cart, and after letting it sit there I kept getting better offers. So I went ahead an ordered from them. Sounds like regardless of their speed they are still trustworthy?

Thanks and apologies again!

They didn't let people go
Tell that to the people in Ann Arbor and Austin.
Sorry guys
No need to be sorry. The other threads are pretty much about Northern Brewer and/or their recent purchase.
Trustworthy I'd guess, but also slow and high priced. And running sales when they can't even fill current orders.
Price what you want at some other places like Rite Brew, Atlantic Brew Supply, Home Brew Ohio, Label Peelers, et al. See what you find.

Last edited:

No need to be sorry. The other threads are pretty much about Northern Brewer and/or their recent purchase.
Trustworthy I'd guess, but also slow and high priced. And running sales when they can't even fill current orders.
Price what you want at some other places like Rite Brew, Atlantic Brew Supply, Home Brew Ohio, Label peelers, et al. See what you find.

I hadn't heard of the ones you had listed. I for sure will compare when I order next time. Price wise I was able to buy a kit, get one free from them. And at the same time NB had 20% off. I liked both styles offered so I figured two for 80 was decent (and I upgraded a few things). I can't believe though how much prices have increase since years back. I mean everything has in life, but I remember grabbing partial grain kits for 27 bucks years ago. lol

Yes, true, sorry. For the shops they ate up and closed, they certainly let people go.

I think however everything is shipped out of MN. Specific to the slow shipments, it's not for letting people go. Not from here anyhow.

Also to be clear I'm not defending the company. Just relaying what I've learned form someone there.

Yes, true, sorry. For the shops they ate up and closed, they certainly let people go.

I think however everything is shipped out of MN. Specific to the slow shipments, it's not for letting people go. Not from here anyhow.

Also to be clear I'm not defending the company. Just relaying what I've learned form someone there.

Certainly seems like they consolidated all the orders out of the MN warehouse as part of the acquisition of Adventures in Homebrewing and Austin Homebrew. I can't imagine they kept employees out of the closed storefronts and warehouses.

(IMO it seems like a huge missed opportunity to maintain a warehouse in Austin to ship out orders to southern states where there isn't a lot of competition but plenty of demand for shipped orders that don't sit in a hot truck/warehouse for a week.)

It wouldn't be a surprise to see orders out of the acquired shops getting delayed as they try to integrate supplies and ordering systems but midwest merged with NB like ten years ago. Maybe they are suffering from the same supply chain as other businesses, but it also could be that they didn't adjust their wholesale orders to handle the volume of orders from all four brands.

AiH used to be my go-to shop for online orders but the transition has made it clear this isn't the same shop with the same level of customer service.

I can't believe though how much prices have increase since years back.
I'm 79. You don't have to tell me about back when. :D BTW, just noticed we're almost neighbors.
Here's some pricing to consider. I'm an extract brewer and don't buy kits, so your pricing concerns may vary. And I'm not driven just by these prices as some of the stores don't carry Muntons DME and shipping can confuse things. Suffice it to say my next order will be from Rite Brew, Home Brew Ohio, and my local Missouri Malt.
prices.png

That's supposed to be US05 yeast.

Last edited:
It wouldn't be a surprise to see orders out of the acquired shops getting delayed as they try to integrate supplies and ordering systems but midwest merged with NB like ten years ago. Maybe they are suffering from the same supply chain as other businesses, but it also could be that they didn't adjust their wholesale orders to handle the volume of orders from all four brands.

Midwest just got back to me, they said my order was suppose to be filled today.

We have had some challenges with the current labor market and supply chains, which has lead to some delays. Your order was originally slotted to fulfill/ship on (09.19.2022), but is currently back logged, by about three or four business days. we have brought on additional labor to help alleviate the back log.

So it seems several people were right. Luckily I wasn't in a rush or anything.

I'm 79. You don't have to tell me about back when. :D BTW' just noticed we're almost neighbors.
Here's some pricing to consider. I'm an extract brewer and don't buy kits, so your pricing concerns may vary. And I'm not driven just by these prices as some of the don't carry Muntons DME and shipping can confuse things. Suffice it to say my next order will be from Riterew, Home Brew Ohio, and my local Missouri malt.
View attachment 781350

Wow, Rite Brew for sure is winning out. I wish I had asked earlier about various suppliers, I just went with who I had known about from the past. I am for sure going to check the bottom four out next order.

Midwest just got back to me, they said my order was suppose to be filled today.

We have had some challenges with the current labor market and supply chains, which has lead to some delays. Your order was originally slotted to fulfill/ship on (09.19.2022), but is currently back logged, by about three or four business days. we have brought on additional labor to help alleviate the back log.

So it seems several people were right. Luckily I wasn't in a rush or anything.

This canned response would be just fine if they would stop offering 20% discounts and more importantly alert potential customers of these regular delays.

On a related topic, last time I was there, Midwest Supplies still has the best in-person grain room in the upper midwest. ;)

eta: standard disclaimer for these topics: I don't work in the home brewing industry, I am not a troll, I am not a bot, I am not AI, YMMV, yada, yada, yada, .... RDWHAHB

Last edited:
On a related topic, last time I was there, Midwest Supplies still has the best in-person grain room in the upper midwest. ;)

eta: standard disclaimer for these topics: I don't work in the home brewing industry, I am not a troll, I am not a bot, I am not AI, YMMV, yada, yada, yada, .... RDWHAHB

As someone that incessantly polices people to ensure they stay strictly on topic in any thread you participate in, you should be able to see that topic is shipping delays and business ethics. It has exactly jack **** to do with the state of their in-store grain room.

continuing on another related topic ....
Ritebrew is indeed awesome. That's another thing that comes up in these threads.
My experience is that they are solid on getting orders together as stated (check the message at the top of their web page as it does change from time to time). The regional delivery service has, for me, been good over the last couple of years.

For the last 4+ years, my approach to this hobby and on-line ordering is to maintain a mini-LHBS and brew from what's in-stock.

A little 'slack' in the supply chain can be a good thing.

eta: alternative sources for brewing ingredients was introduced as a relate topic in reply #5.

As for Midwest's in-store grain room, please allow me to lobby for what I find useful. Otherwise:

🎶 Don't it always seem to go
🎶 That you don't know what you got till it's gone
🎶 They paved paradise the LHBS and put up a parking lot

Last edited:
As someone that incessantly polices people to ensure they stay strictly on topic in any thread you participate in, you should be able to see that topic is shipping delays and business ethics. It has exactly jack **** to do with the state of their in-store grain room.
I think it was a recurring joke of sorts, to mention it.

That said I've ordered from BrewHardware a number of times and - Bobby you're great! And your team or whoever else helps do it all. Not sure how many custom tubes I've ordered from you but it's been a few and they are perfect (and ship pretty quickly) as well as other stuff over the last year or two since I heard of your store.

I think it was a recurring joke of sorts, to mention it.
As I've mentioned in a number of other topics (once the topic moves to alternative sources of home brewing supplies) that my travels take me to a variety of places in the upper mid-west:

🎶 You wouldn't believe where I've been​
🎶 The cities and towns I've been in​
🎶 From Fargo to Green Bay​
🎶 And many towns in between ...​

Many of good local home brew stores with adequate grain rooms.

Walk in, review the mechandise in person, buy what's in stock.

No worries about supply chain delays (can't buy it if it's not there) or staffing (if they are open, they are staffed).

At the moment, Midwest Supply appears to have the best grain room in the area.

Literally every thread about NB or MW. Next it’ll be about how he stocks his own mini LHBS and doesn’t worry about shipping delays - then meander why there hasn’t been a thread started about that topic when the current topic is, and has been for months, on how terrible these ONLINE businesses are being run

I wonder if any body has tried the AIH or AHS side of the Northern Brewer Company's. Is it the same fulfillment time frame or is one "brand" getting better treatment?.
I still wonder why AIH/AHS sold out in the first place if they were such a great place to buy stuff.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

I've been in the Midwest Supplies warehouse in St Louis Park, MN a couple of times, even when there is NOBODY ELSE THERE, the customer service sucked ass. I definitely got the vibe that if you weren't a regular or someone they knew well, you were welcome to not bother the staff in any way. Never going back there. The NB store in St Paul, MN definitely has much friendlier staff, but that place is tiny, and there's nowhere to park.

Ordered on 9/6 a number of brewing kits. It’s now 9/20 and still nothing from Midwest. I got a message from Northern that they were putting orders together from 9/2.
I tried More Beer. I got two orders in 3 days each and a Mew Brewzilla in two days. More Beer has a ware house in PA & CA. seems to be only one day difference from the CA location. I live in PA

Still nothing from Midwest.

i find it a bit odd that MoreBeer gets so little ink here. They've been my goto source for a decade and their service, prices and selection are always near or at the top. I always make up a large enough order to get their free shipping, and the order is usually at my garage door within 3 or 4 days.

i find it a bit odd that MoreBeer gets so little ink here. They've been my goto source for a decade and their service, prices and selection are always near or at the top. I always make up a large enough order to get their free shipping, and the order is usually at my garage door within 3 or 4 days.
MoreBeer was good when I used them. Generally, 3 to 4 day delivery (2018-2019). If there were broken items, they were prompt on fixing the problems that the shipper created.

Rite Brew (2019 - current) is almost always 1 to 2 day delivery (if I order before the cut-off time). Given 2020 & 2021, that's a pretty good record for a delivery service. But, as always, YMMV.

I flit between online vendors. For general yeast/malt/whatever I like to use my semi-L HBS, Great Fermentations. But I use MoreBeer or BrewHardware for Duotight fittings, AIH for kegs, YVH for hops, RiteBrew for dry yeast, and occasionally do put in a Midwest order when they happen to have something I want that I can't find elsewhere. BrewHardware, YVH, and Ritebrew often ship next-day; for the others I expect to wait a few days before the order goes through. I haven't noticed Midwest to be substantially slower than MoreBeer, for instance.

I placed an order last Tuesday and still do not have a projected ship / arrival date. I sent a message to customer service and waiting to hear back, but wanted to know how the company seems to be doing these days? I have ordered from them before but it's been several years. Thanks guys!
I placed an order with Midwest on 9/4/22. On 9/9/22 they sent me an apology and a coupon, then my order arrived on 9/16/22. By current standards that is extremely slow, but when they have their $49 free shipping sales, I can get Dingemans pilsner malt for substantially cheaper than anywhere else. I would prefer to work with a LHBS, but in Central Iowa, we are kind of in a LHBS desert. More Beer used to be my go to and I still slightly prefer doing business with them, but their malt prices have gone way up. Rite Brew has been my recent favorite for bulk malt purchases, but that can change depending on shipping rates. Midwest and NB aren’t my favorite, but at the end of the day, unless I notice a discrepancy in the quality of ingredients, I’m going to go wherever I can get the best deal on malt, even if their customer service isn’t great.

You must be in a favored shipping area. I checked the price on Rite Deer for 20lbs of 2-row and shipping alone would be about $21 , kinda doubling the price of the grain which was favorable. Recalculating to 50lbs. also doubled the grain price. Am I missing something?

Rite Brew (2019 - current) is almost always 1 to 2 day delivery (if I order before the cut-off time). Given 2020 & 2021, that's a pretty good record for a delivery service. But, as always, YMMV.

i find it a bit odd that MoreBeer gets so little ink here.
I think it's a "no news is good news" sort of deal. People in general will blast a bad experience in a heart beat. Some ppl have a bone to pick for a place and will walk all over them because,,, well because. Seldom do you see praise for average and sometimes you see reports of excellent.
I have used More Beer but I have an issue with FedEx shipping to my address. I had 1 order "out for delivery" for 3 days, another, 2 days above the 3 to 4 days to get to my "last mile".
I hope NB/MW get their 🦆🦆🦆 in a row soon, they have become my "go to". "Normally" it's 1 to 2 days for an order to show up, I liked that.
I guess I would rather have my stuff "unfulfilled" than bouncing around in a truck if I have a choice.
If not, some place else will get my $$$, it's pretty simple. I have yet to try Rite Brew, I need to give them a shot I guess. I like to keep a stock pile so I can make at least a basic beer when the mood strikes. As an extract brewer that uses dry yeast that mood doesn't require a lot of planing, just an empty fermonster. (LOL)
Sorry for being so windy, as always YMMV
Cheers,
Joel B. :mug:

So that's what the odd option is? I hadn't heard of it but it was fairly cheap and served my area.
Could be - there's a "shipping information" page that may be helpful - click on the shipping information message on the top center of the home page (today the message is "Same Day Shipping" but it can change).

Parking in St Paul, especially on Grand Ave, is always "tight" and always changing.

When I'm shopping in that area, almost always on weekends when my travels get me into St Paul, I expect that I will need to drive around the block or park a block or two away from where I want to shop (the Northern Brewer store is in a slightly less busy portion.

In the past, I've had good results parking in the green areas:

1663695541998.png

I was there this past spring, so things may have changed since then.

Check with the store employees on current conditions - they should have current and good local knowledge on parking.

Yep parking in the neighborhood nearby is easy. Their phone # exists but is super hard to come by, it's not listed anywhere. I suppose for obvious reasons. The place feels like a local shop with nothing to do with the bigger company.

They shared staffing issues with me…..

Back