Has anyone ever used mint in 2nd stage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgriff00

Reaction score
I have a nice mint plant on my patio, and am curious if anyone has ever used it and what kind of flavor, aroma, etc.. It has given.

I used fresh mint (2 oz chopped) added to secondary for 10 days to compliment a chocolate stout.

Mint flavor was fine, subtle but not sweet, for a month or so, but faded dramatically after that. Hindsight tells me I should have either used more mint or drank them faster.

I've had similar experience with similar beer as bothra. I didn't necessarily notice the mint fading dramatically, though this was a while back.

You do get a mint flavour and aroma, but it's not sweet like a mint candy. It's nice, but I suspect if you use too much it might make your beer taste a little like toothpaste.

I tried a bit of mint in a glass of stout. Not bad, but probably should have used more. It was a bit of mint soaked in vodka. I don't know how it would work to dry-mint a batch...

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of adding it to a summer blonde or wheat. I am looking for a nice crisp, cool finish.. Something subtle and unique.

Back