Has anyone ever put a sink inside a cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B0rnFrustr8ed

Reaction score
I've been trying to decide how to build my mash tun, and I like aspects of both coolers (heat retention) and stock pots (no scratching / no BPA).

I've been tossing around the idea of fitting a stainless sink inside of a large cooler. Any ideas on whether a drain can be fitted with the proper tubing? Or what might work as a manifold or false bottom?

i'd just insulate the sink itself. put it in a plywood box and fill with spray foam, or just get some rigid Styrofoam board.

That's not a bad idea, but it's a lot more work than just finding a cooler to fit it in. ;)

trying to find an SS sink to fit the cooler is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

you would be much better off taking an "over mount sink" building a box of wood and filling with foam. like some one else said.

here in lies the problem. to find a 10 + gallon stainless sink is going to be $$$$$$$$$$$ your average kitchen sink is not deep enough.

-=Jason=-

Last edited by a moderator:
I've often wondered about using one of the larger SS utility sinks I see coming up on craigslist every so often. Also, some of the deeper kitchen sinks might suffice. The plumbing is my question as I'm not real familiar with what kinds of threads/materials are used. Also, the lid is going to be a large part of the insulating ability of the tun since most heat will escape upward.

the sink just has a large open hole in the bottom its up to you to figure out how to attach to it. they do make SS sink drains you can work with.

-=Jason=-

The sink drain is a standard size, and I think if you stare at the parts shelves in Home Depot long enough, you could find a reducing collar and a few pieces of PVC that could be cobbled together at the end of it in order to make a perfectly adequate outlet.

This is a pretty fine idea - I've also been agonizing over a more permanent mash tun (currently using a SS pot, but hauling around blankets and coats every brew day is a PITA) in stainless.

I've seen pics of someone nesting a SS kettle inside a larger SS kettle and filling the space with foam insulation. IIRC he even put the two lids together with insulation between. Of course SS kettle in a wood box would be cheaper, or even SS kettle with insulation permanently applied with a spray on coating over it. Who did the one with the embossed barley stalks in the insulation before the coating was applied?

Latest posts

Back