has anyone brewed with rice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sucram2202

Reaction score
I've been wanting to brew a rice pilsner agressively hopped with sorachi ace. Has anyone brewed with rice? Does anyone have any advice or techniques to share. I figured I'd use jasmine rice for its refined flavor and I'd through in a ton of rice hulls so the mash doesn't gum up on me.

Yes i have brewed with rice. You can mash with flaked rice or "minute rice" and get about the same results. If you are using raw rice you will need to do a cerial mash before your regular mash to get conversion on the starches. You will not get any flavor from the rice just dry alcohal, thats why the BMC brewerys use it they want a bland tasting beer.

If you are looking to push a background flavor to the front of your brew it will help with that, but otherwise its not really worth it IMHO

What flavor are you going for? I brew Korean Makgeolli which is a kind of rice beer/wine, and it has a wonderful rice flavor reminiscent of a cloudy Sake. It goes from grain to glass in about 5-7 days and takes about 30min to prepare.

I have been thinking about pasteurizing a gallon batch of that and blending it with a beer at bottling. The makgeolli has a strong malt/rice profile so I was thinking a blonde. I will probably save one gallon from my next blonde ale and toss in 3 and 1/4 cups of Makgeolli to see how it does. Wouldn't want to ruin an entire batch.

I'm not necessarily looking for flavor as much as the fluffy mouthfeel that I've been told rice imparts.

Back