Has anyone brewed a NEIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator24

Reaction score
Stumbled across this beer last week. It is quite tasty and I am going to try and make something similar BIAB style this weekend. Has anyone else brewed a New England IPA with good results to share?

20170415_000420 (1)w.jpg

Yes, Just started brewing last month and brewed 4 of them so far. Thats why I got into this hobby. Just tried my first that was all grain BIAB and it was fantastic. Brew to glass in 8 days too! Cant beat that. Brewed again this past weekend and have one in the fermenter right now. I would not brew this style unless you are going to be kegging, they dont like O2.

I used, 2-row, white white, carapils. crystal-15 and flaked oats for the malt, columbus to bitter and I use a combo of mosaic, galaxy, citra, el dorado and other fruity hops added at end of boil, whirlpool and dry hop for the aroma/flavor.

Loving this so far. i can give more specifics later if needed.

Thank you Morrey, I did stumble onto post 1418, very helpful. I am anxious to give this style a try. It is nearly impossible to get the stuff around here unless you go to the brewery to get it from the tap. I have a 10 gallon batch almost ready to go in the bag on Saturday. Then it will be a test of my patience until I can get it kegged!:mug:

Thank you Morrey, I did stumble onto post 1418, very helpful. I am anxious to give this style a try. It is nearly impossible to get the stuff around here unless you go to the brewery to get it from the tap. I have a 10 gallon batch almost ready to go in the bag on Saturday. Then it will be a test of my patience until I can get it kegged!:mug:

LOL...patience is a virtue for sure especially for first few beers. I have a keg "pipeline" so when a keg kicks I have a conditioned replacement ready. These smooth, non-bitter NE IPAs are the best of all worlds to me!

You mentioned getting a pint from a brewery...the prices tend to add up quickly. Wife and I went to a growler bar with her brother so he drove. Wife and I had 3 pints each as we sampled some new beers. At $7 each, plus tax and tip, we hit over $50. I can make a nice NEIPA keg for less.

I keep telling the Mrs's I need to build another keezer. Current one only has 3 taps and I do not have that keg "pipeline" so I am down for a few days building carbonation. I really need it now as I am crazy over the NEIPA's. At least the one I have tasted, pure deliciousness.

I hear you as well on how expensive the brewery can be, one of many reasons why I enjoy making my own.

I got one kegged right now brewed with White Labs wlp 644 sach trois (the one that used to be classified as a brett strain). I fermented around 78-80 degrees to get those tropical fruit esters. Omega sells it under the name Tropical IPA and Imperial as "Citrus IPA." Plays really well with the citra/cascade dry hops.

It's a low floc yeast so you'll get that NEIPA haze for sure. One of the best beers I've brewed to date.

If you follow this linked thread ^^^^ on page 142 look at post 1418. This is an updated recipe that I am using. Lots of what a NEIPA is all about comes from "technique" as in from first wort hopping, late hop whirlpool additions and of course dry hopping. I found technique to be very important.

I agree with that post, but for an amazing spin, and trust me you wont be upset.

Warrior/Horizon/Chinook/Magnum whatever for bittering ~45-50IBUs at 60
Flame Out C-Hop blend, Galaxy, and Idaho 7
WP/Steep 1oz of Rosemary. Leaf only, steep around 170F for 20 mins. It truly is amazing. Also, I like a touch of aromatic/biscuit/victory to the grist.

American NEIPA needs a touch of sugar to get the 1.060 to a consistent 77-82%attn, want to finish in the 1.008-10

English IPA with new world hops sub a touch of dark malts in the .5oz/gal for a slight color adjustment and Simpsons crystal, finishing in the 1.010-14

I agree with that post, but for an amazing spin, and trust me you wont be upset.

Warrior/Horizon/Chinook/Magnum whatever for bittering ~45-50IBUs at 60
Flame Out C-Hop blend, Galaxy, and Idaho 7
WP/Steep 1oz of Rosemary. Leaf only, steep around 170F for 20 mins. It truly is amazing. Also, I like a touch of aromatic/biscuit/victory to the grist.

American NEIPA needs a touch of sugar to get the 1.060 to a consistent 77-82%attn, want to finish in the 1.008-10

English IPA with new world hops sub a touch of dark malts in the .5oz/gal for a slight color adjustment and Simpsons crystal, finishing in the 1.010-14

I would guess that you, as an out of the box thinker, are probably aware of the cooking channel. Those amazing chefs defy traditional logic and methodology to create their own versions of exotic taste sensations. I do trust that your ideas are not only innovative but could be the difference between the accepted norm and...WOW!

Yeah, you really got to know your hops (as you obviously do) to know what plays well with an herb like rosemary. I like your suggestions and hop pairings for sure and am likely to give this a try. I have huge rosemary shrubs that are prime for the pickin'.

I did a newspaper article last year on a home brewer who uses collard greens to bitter his beer. It was interesting and I enjoyed his ideas to use alternative ingredients we may have never considered. Similar to yours.......

I just cracked the seal last night of a 9 month old hop burst rosemary citrusy IIPA, I truly swear by it. It is all the faux piney hop flavor without the piney bitterness. It is something to try. My last ryePA got 2 leaves per bottle for that conditioned aroma. It really is great. It doesn't transfer to the flavor much but the aroma is neat.

I just cracked the seal last night of a 9 month old hop burst rosemary citrusy IIPA, I truly swear by it. It is all the faux piney hop flavor without the piney bitterness. It is something to try. My last ryePA got 2 leaves per bottle for that conditioned aroma. It really is great. It doesn't transfer to the flavor much but the aroma is neat.

Yeah as I have been thinking about rosemary, the "pine like" essences seem a good match, especially a WP addition where aromas are the key. If you don't mind, I'd love to get a recipe. I typically keg, but can possibly bottle some with my beer gun. Thanks!

I also had M-43 for the first time recently, on easter. I think it's my favorite commercial IPA of any type I've ever had. I'd like the bitterness down just a smidge more, but that's more difficult with pros because of their long chill times.

Highly recommend #MiBeer

I would not brew this style unless you are going to be kegging, they dont like O2.

Can anyone confirm this? I'm still just bottling. I was going to brew one of these soon and just bottle them, I figured that would work. Not ideal, I know, with the amount of hop material in them, but just wondering...has anyone bottled these in the traditional way?

I also had M-43 for the first time recently, on easter. I think it's my favorite commercial IPA of any type I've ever had. I'd like the bitterness down just a smidge more, but that's more difficult with pros because of their long chill times.

Highly recommend #MiBeer

I would have to agree. A friend and fellow brewer took me to the actual brewery last week. I was kind of amazed at how good it was (I had no clue this NEIPA even existed). I had no idea how hard it was to get as well in stores. So I went back to the brewery a couple days later with growler in hand. Now it is all gone and I cannot wait to brew up my own. As delicious as it is, have a hard time justifying $15 for a growler fill when I can HOPEFULLY brew something close myself.

Can anyone confirm this? I'm still just bottling. I was going to brew one of these soon and just bottle them, I figured that would work. Not ideal, I know, with the amount of hop material in them, but just wondering...has anyone bottled these in the traditional way?

You can bottle it, but you'll lose the hop punch pretty fast, which is the whole point of a NEIPA.

Confirmed.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=597557

Plenty of people, myself included, have had NEIPA that looked and tasted great on bottling day turn to brown flavorless sludge after 2 weeks of bottle conditioning.

I assumed it was due to O2, but someone has posited that it may depend on the yeast used with this style. I do recall that the first NEIPA I bottled used London Ale III (Wyeast 1318) and didn't turn brown. Then I tried Conan and with bottle conditioning and got several ruined batches. Since then I switched to kegging and have not had the issue.

If you dare to try bottle conditioning a NEIPA, I suggest you use 1318 as your yeast and please share the results in the thread I posted above.

Yeah as I have been thinking about rosemary, the "pine like" essences seem a good match, especially a WP addition where aromas are the key. If you don't mind, I'd love to get a recipe. I typically keg, but can possibly bottle some with my beer gun. Thanks!

Sure! 2 ways, I drop down my og in beersmith for a session ryeIPA drop the IBUs to 45-50, cut the WP in 1/2 but keep the dryhop levels the same.

MaryRose Bitter Hands
IIPA
8gal (8.5 in fermenter)
1.088 OG
9.4SRM
60ish Bitterness (I don't count for bitterness in WP)
8.9%ABV
Yellow bitter

Grist

32.4% Castle Bel Pale
28.6% M.O.
15.2% Rye Malt
7.6% Crystal 10
5.7% Flaked Rye
3.8% Honey malt
1.9% Aromatic
4.8% Corn Syrup

Boil
Horizon at 60m 54IBUs
Perle at 12m 5.6IBUs

WP
174F for 25mins
1oz Rosemary Leaves
1oz Citra, 1oz Cascade, 1oz Centennial, 1oz Galaxy, 1oz Idaho7

DH
2oz Citra
1oz Galaxy
1oz Idaho7

Optional 3/4 leaves per bottle at bottling.

Confirmed.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=597557

Plenty of people, myself included, have had NEIPA that looked and tasted great on bottling day turn to brown flavorless sludge after 2 weeks of bottle conditioning.

I assumed it was due to O2, but someone has posited that it may depend on the yeast used with this style. I do recall that the first NEIPA I bottled used London Ale III (Wyeast 1318) and didn't turn brown. Then I tried Conan and with bottle conditioning and got several ruined batches. Since then I switched to kegging and have not had the issue.

If you dare to try bottle conditioning a NEIPA, I suggest you use 1318 as your yeast and please share the results in the thread I posted above.

Oh boy...that sucks to hear. I don't have a kegging setup and it will likely be awhile before that happens, sadly. I'm brewing my NEIPA this weekend, and will bottle it. The recipe I'm using for calls to dry hop for 8 days, but I may shorten that to limit oxygen exposure. I'm still going to brew it, and try to drink it fast! But if it turns into brown sludge, oh well. I'll just wait to make another NEIPA until I can keg. Which sucks, because if I had a keg setup I'd make this style a lot.

Oh boy...that sucks to hear. I don't have a kegging setup and it will likely be awhile before that happens, sadly. I'm brewing my NEIPA this weekend, and will bottle it. The recipe I'm using for calls to dry hop for 8 days, but I may shorten that to limit oxygen exposure. I'm still going to brew it, and try to drink it fast! But if it turns into brown sludge, oh well. I'll just wait to make another NEIPA until I can keg. Which sucks, because if I had a keg setup I'd make this style a lot.

The post that FruityHops linked to provides some hope. Seems like a number of people are having luck avoiding the bottle-related darkening by using 1318 as their yeast.

Back