Has any used quince?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will_rouse

Reaction score
I just made my first batch of cider witch was delicious and I would like to keep one on Tap at all times. I live in south Mississippi so apple trees don't flourish per say but I do have quite a few quince trees to supplement the cider. Has any brewed with a quince it's a very very sour bitter fruit but very good. Experiences or advice much appreciated.

gregbathurst said:
I have heard one bad report - said to taste a bit strange and not pleasant, but no good reports. Perhaps you should try it so others can benefit from your experience.

I will try I looked up recipes for the quince and it's used in a lot of meats and Cheeses or jams.

I'll probably cook a few and use that in my secondary and back sweeten in the keg.

PS- these have LOTS of pectin, so you'll never get a clear beer. Clarifiers may help, and aging helps- but just plan on getting a cloudy beer.

Sounds like you have a bittersharp, high acid and tannin, you could treat it like a crabapple and keep adding a few to your ciders to liven them up a little. I was thinking of planting some here in WV but it seems they also suffer from a quince rust that can get into the apples to in certain years. I already have a great crabapple so thanks for the description. WVMJ

Thanks guys after hearing that I think my final recipe will be

-5 gallons of apple juice (store bought there's not orchards in south Mississippi)
-3 pounds of brown sugar
-And ill sanitize 4 large quinces peel them and toss them in
And ill probably use S-04

If its too dry ill backsweeten in the keg

And as far as the cloudiness I'm okay with it and my friends are too.
Ill post how it turns out if anyone is interested

Thanks guys after hearing that I think my final recipe will be

-5 gallons of apple juice (store bought there's not orchards in south Mississippi)
-3 pounds of brown sugar
-And ill sanitize 4 large quinces peel them and toss them in
And ill probably use S-04

If its too dry ill backsweeten in the keg

And as far as the cloudiness I'm okay with it and my friends are too.
Ill post how it turns out if anyone is interested

Thinking of making a quince wine or cider. How did this turn out?

Got a few buckets of Quinces for free a few years ago and made cider, but I didn't like it. It just had a disagreeable flavor. I still have a few bottles of it I'll probably taste but thinking its going to get dumped. But there are a lot of different varieties of quince so its hard to say what your results will be.
I don't think adding 4 quinces to 5 gallons of cider will be make much of a difference. How much juice is in 4 quinces?
Anyone who has quinces, I'd say go ahead and try it and see if you like it.

I got a mix that had heirloom apples, crab apples and quince. I made it with Saison yeast. It’s different. Not my fav. But don’t know if it’s the mix, the crabs, the quince, the yeast or the fermentation temp. But it’s o.k. Try it!

Quince is a wonderful fruit. For me, it's like an intensely aromatic cross between apple and pear and in fact is use to enhance either fruit by addition. But, it's ridiculously hard, astringent and to only a slightly lesser extent, sour, and needs to be treated before using. I usually blanch it in simple syrup until soft and we're good to go (I use it typically in savory preparations - last time, I think, was with braised pork shanks, jus, and braised red cabbage).

Use it to make jelly - membrillo with manchego cheese (or most cheeses) is one of those magic combinations.

Man, that sounds fantastic, Northern. I've never taste membrillo, have no idea why, but now you've completely inspired me! I can just tell that is insanely good. I used to make jelly with it as well - juice extracted through a "Mehu Liisa." It went with a foie gras plate. I'm smelling the fruit now.

Mark, I was just trying to give him a way to make the fruit accessible. "Untreated" in some way, it's nigh impossible to work with, in any application.

Just added some fresh quince reduction juice to a finished cider than has minimal body and tannins. It sure kicked it up a notch!
Have no idea how it would ferment and if the final cider with quince reduction will age

If you care about cheese, which you obviously do, then you need membrillo with manchego in your life. There's a reason the Spanish call the combination "Romeo y Julieta" and it's nothing to do with cigars or ending in tragic death. And if you have access to quinces then it's not hard to make OK membrillo - but it's one of those things that people get very passionate on the subject of the details of how to make a great one. :)

Ny wife refers to well-managed Robiola Rochetta as her lover. I realize, typing that, I've conjured up black and white charcoal renderings and footlights on eyes worn with unrequited lust and eternal want; Romeo y Julieta indeed.

I love local pride on sacred dishes. Cassoulet among them, surely. In fact the very first beer I made, "Dithyrhambic Brown Ale," Taken from Charlie Papazian's book, was served with a duck cassoulet with duck confit, garlic sausages, braised pork shoulder, and no mutton. I said, no mutton. That's right.

Now, you may call me iconoclast.

I love quinces, but I agree they probably wouldn't go well in a brewed drink. There are 3 ways I use them (when I can find them - not easy in Connecticut):

1. Eat them raw. I find them very tasty, but other people say it's an acquired taste. For me it probably comes from the 2 quince trees my parents had in the garden when I was little.

2. Of course, jam and jelly. Either quince alone, or mixed with apple/pear or both.

3. Quince stew. Essentially braised pork or chicken with quince slices. It's not a savory dish really because I braise them in a caramel sauce. :)

Back