Harvesting blend of Brett and saccharomyces?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tko17

Reaction score
This question has likely been asked and answered already, but I can't figure out the proper search query to find it. Also not sure if this should be here or in the Wild brewing section. But here it goes.

I recently made a saison by simultaneously pitching wyeast 3711 and dregs from two bottles of (my favorite) Crooked Stave here in Denver.

It's fabulous. Just fricking delicious.

But here's my problem. Both of the beers I used for dregs (Batch 1 and Wild Wild Bret Indigo) are no longer available. So here I sit mourning the fact that the one of the best beers I've made to date will be very very hard to repeat.

So, already knowing the likely answers, I ask my last gasp questions. Is there any way to harvest the yeast from this beer and maintain the blend? Will saccharomyces and brettanomyces get along in a pint jar in my fridge for a few months? If I do harvest and try to repitch, what are the chances of having a similar flavor to the first batch?

Thanks!!

In most cases you have the wrong ratio in the jar when harvesting.
When you pitch, sacch will always get a head start on the brett leaving it stressing to find something to eat. Resulting in an undesirable beer.

Separating each strand is an option but requires skill, lab equipment, etc.

In most cases you have the wrong ratio in the jar when harvesting.
When you pitch, sacch will always get a head start on the brett leaving it stressing to find something to eat. Resulting in an undesirable beer.

Separating each strand is an option but requires skill, lab equipment, etc.

...um, that's what happens when you add brett in secondary. Brett is slow to reproduce so it is always slow to begin fermenting.

...um, that's what happens when you add brett in secondary. Brett is slow to reproduce so it is always slow to begin fermenting.

yes like i said...
It's fine. Just wash as usual and pitch as usual.

I washed a brett sasion i fermented with 3724 and finished with brett brux 644, after steeping up and pitching into a rye saison the final beer had absolutly no brett chracter to it at all. no funk no overripe tropical fruits no acid. i was astonished to say the least.

This is just my experience with washing dual pitched beers...youll never have the same ratio unless u have lab equipment.

Latest posts

Back