Harvested yeast storage.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McUbermensch

Reaction score
I tried to search for this but was unsuccessful.

Once I harvest yeast, either from a commercial beer or from a captured wild yeast, how long will it last and what is the proper way to store it? If there's a thread dedicated to this topic please point me in the right direction.

Thanks brew dudes.

For short teem storage I use preforms. Also known as mini soda bottles. Its the tubes that white labs sells their liquid yeast in. For longer term, many stickies are available that talk about freezing. Not for the novice, as there needs to be care taken to prevent damange to the cell walls. Personally, I do a starter, cold crash, decant, and pour the top of the slurrey into a sanitized preform, then step and pitch. If the tube has been in my frige more than a year, or it's the color of peanut bitter with no white/gray cells present, I just toss it and buy a fresh sample.

Make a starter to increase the cell count, let ferment out, and then store in a sanitized sealed container (with airlock or venting occasionally) in fridge.

We use the smallest Mason jars after the yeast has fermented out. Just reorganized the yeast fridge today and had 12 of those suckers of various dates in there...

You should be able to find all info you need on HBT! That's where I learned. I have now a very lively Wyeast 1728 foaming away for a batch of ale. The yeast is 3rd generation from an original pouch that cost me $10!!! Search for freezing yeast with a solution of glycerol. I use 25% in water, yeast good for a few months,(maybe more), and they hit the floor running!! Make a starter 2x what you need, and freeze half. Repeat.

I store my rinsed yeast in the refrigerator at 39° to 40°. I have a Caribou Slobber finishing now with WY1332 I harvested 3/10/2012. Made a two step starter.
I had 450 ml of WY1056. I was going to brew in a few days so I kept it in a bucket of cold water, refreshed twice a day, in my brewing room. Brew was delayed two more days.
I opened the quart jar and saw a slight oil film on top. Started pouring off the beer and water solution on top and it erupted. Real nasty smell. Pitched SA-05.
I recommend storing the yeast as cold as possible without freezing. Special techniques, that I haven't gotten into yet, for freezing the yeast.

For short teem storage I use preforms. Also known as mini soda bottles. Its the tubes that white labs sells their liquid yeast in. For longer term, many stickies are available that talk about freezing. Not for the novice, as there needs to be care taken to prevent damange to the cell walls. Personally, I do a starter, cold crash, decant, and pour the top of the slurrey into a sanitized preform, then step and pitch. If the tube has been in my frige more than a year, or it's the color of peanut bitter with no white/gray cells present, I just toss it and buy a fresh sample.

Where do you buy the mini soda bottles?

Back