Hard plumbing the brew stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caspio

Reaction score
After spending a month or two gathering parts and putting things off, last night I finally got around to starting the hard-plumbing of the brew stand. Note that I'm only plumbing the cold water lines. While hard lines for everything would be pretty cool, I'd want to do that in stainless and the cost/hassle just isn't worth it. Plus I just really like the flexibility afforded by the silicone hose and QD's.

Anyway, I'm planning on having three lines. One will run to my water filter, then up to the HLT on the second tier. This line is going to have a threaded union so I can rotate it out to the side for removing the HLT. I may also throw a QD on the end just in case I need filtered water for cleaning, bringing down the mash temp, whatever.

The next line is going to be plumbed to my counterflow chiller, and the last line is just going to stick out the front with a QD on it in case I need water for flushing the pump/whatever. One thing I haven't decided yet is the mounting of the counterflow chiller. The easiest thing would just be to pull the hose off the copper tee and solder it straight in. Another option would be to solder it in, but using a union for easier removal. The last option would be to leave the hose fittings on, and find a 1/2 copper -> male hose fitting adapter.

I don't think I'm just going to permanently solder it in, but I'm debating between using a union or keeping the hose fittings.

Anyway, progress so far:
Manifold with valves open
IMAGE_003.jpg

Manifold with valves closed
IMAGE_004.jpg

In place on the stand
IMAGE_005.jpg

Water source from the back of the stand. I have a female thread garden hose hookup that's going to go on the 1/2 male threaded fitting there.
IMAGE_007.jpg

Valve and filter placement with propane tank
IMAGE_009.jpg

So that's where I left things last night. I couldn't do too much more, because once I solder a few more things in, it's going to be pretty much impossible to remove the manifold. I'm out of thread tape, but I want to get all the fittings I've done so far taped up while I can still mess around with the valves. Also need to go stare at the parts wall for awhile to figure out the water filter. The fittings are smaller than half inch, need to either work out something to adapt to the fittings that came with the filter, or get something that will hook right up to the filter body.

There you have it. Thoughts, comments, concerns? Let me know if anyone has suggestions or if there's something I haven't thought of yet.

Right on...looks nice! I'd like to do this as well, but need to get my stand put together first. Keep us posted with pics, and thanks for sharing!

Back