Hard Pipe for CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonefishin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a beverage cooler/kegerator. I have 3 taps and keep my gas cylinder inside the cooler with my kegs. I want to move my gas tank outside the cooler. From my primary reg. I want use a short section of flexible tubing, then some kind of hard tubing thru the inside of the cooler to the regulators. What has anyone used for gas piping? Also, where would I find a grommet for the side wall of the cooler?
Thanks GF

IMG_20160213_190217913_HDR.jpg

where did you get that!?!? i have been looking for one fpor a while, but the cheapest one i have found is $1500. To answer your question, use hard pvc, the type for plumbing. 1/2 inch is the easiest to find, but you might find some 3/8 inch

Copper and stainless both work, but copper is a lot easier to work with.

Terek, I found it on CL. $600.00. I was going to get 2 refriges to use for beer and overflow food but that cooler fit the bill better and has a way higher cool factor.
I had done a search for this topic but I get tied up in the posts (ADHD) without actually finding what I am looking for so I started this post. Only to find one down the 1st page that addresses this exact issue. Thanks for the replies. DFBorn, do you put a corny gas post on the end of that fitting?

DFBorn, do you put a corny gas post on the end of that fitting?

I think others on here have done that with the right fittings.

I just used mfl swivel nuts with hose barbs to connect my lines directly to the bulkhead (w/ washers). They don't quick detach, but I didn't see that as a need for my setup.

Big points for the huge, awesome kegerator!

HOWEVER, I will be forced to rescind all but one of those points because of the bottle of Mezcal Monte Alban. Subsequent to my first house party when I was in high school, that stuff was responsible for me spending HOURS cleaning up the wall and carpet next to my bed. I got hungover just noticing the bottle in the picture. That was the night I started to learn that I was definitely a "beer guy." :mug:

If I'm understanding you correctly, what you want is a bulkhead shank, like so:

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php...d=2263&zenid=576c4d18861c664839921c739809c696

It comes in a couple different lengths. Here's a couple pics showing how I use it with my keezer so I can keep the CO2 tank outside the keezer. Some people just drill a hole and run the line through it, but I wanted something I could disconnect if I moved the keezer, w/o having to undo the line.

I needed the 4 1/8" shank, as my collar is 2 1/4" wide (2x6 and 1x8 thickness). You have to account for the attachment nuts and the MFL connections, so the "4 1/8" label for the shank is a misnomer--though the site notes the maximum wall thickness is 2 3/4".

It's done exactly what I wanted, and I think it'll work well for you too.

k4.jpg

k3.jpg

Thanks Ike, that is actually some homemade wine my neighbor gave me. Mongoose, yours is the post I found after I posted mine. Very helpful. I want to clean up my fridge a little so I can have more room for kegs.

Back