Hard cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirbstreet51

Reaction score
Just bottled my hard cider (a week ago), I sampled some as I was bottling and it was a bit alcohol tasting and also had a bitter bite to it. How long should I leave it in the bottle before I start drinking it?

Well, "until it tastes good" unfortunately is the only real answer, but there are some other pieces of information that can be helpful to guess-
What kind of yeast did you use?
What did you use to make your must? (grocery store juice, frozen, fresh apples, etc)
Did you add any sweetener?

I used T-58 in my last batch, and it did exceedingly well.

In regards to the OP, time will heal all wounds. If you're impatient like I am, you could also pasteurize at 140 degrees for 30 min. (at least that's what I did), and back-sweeten with a little bit of brown sugar to taste.

All and all, I would set it in a dark closet and spend the next year brewing delicious beers and ciders, only to discover your long-lost carboy months later, filled with deliciously aged cider. You'll be enjoying it next Christmas with a smile!

I used champaign yeast, grocery store cider and added a half cup of brown sugar. I let it ferment over a month before bottling. I never got any gravity readings because my wife busted my hydrometer! I have since got a new one.

My cider/apfelwein (store juice, dextrose, champagne yeast) took about 6 months to really be good

I've only been doing ale yeasts, but if you pull the cider at 1.01ish it's much more sweet then letting it go below that (more wine like).

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

Back