Hard Cider Club - Metro Detroit??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmd2k1

Reaction score
any hard cider clubs in the Metro Detroit area?

If not...let's start one!

Chime in :)

Cheers...
Brian

Cool...makes u & me so far [emoji111]

Gotta daughter at MSU [emoji318]

I'd definitely be interested, haven't made hard cider in a few months (OK, almost a year), but I plan on getting back on the bandwagon soon!

Hey neighbors!
Thought I'd try to 'pitch' this thread by reporting on my recent fermentations. I did 4 batches of 15+/- gallons each this year for a total of about 60 gallons. Two batches were chaptalized for ~12-13% 'wine'. The other two were not, with potential alcohol around 7-8%. Several different sources of apples, but one I'm particularly interested in is Dolgo Crab harvested from several trees growing in the divider strip in a local parking lot. One of my struggles is managing the acidity from the dolgo at about 10x the total acidity of the other apples. Batch #4 was mixed with 40% dolgo, but probably still way to acid. Checking now on reducing acidity with perhaps sodium hydroxide or baking soda (Sodium bicarbonate). Any experience? I also had a brain fart and added about 5x the recommended potassium metabisulfite to batch #2, one of the batches intended for lower alcohol. I may have to toss it because of the overpowering SO2 smell. But before doing so I'm reading up on using copper sulphate treatment for removing excess SO2. Wish me luck, as I can't bear the thought of tossing 15 gallons of hard cider, not least because of all the work that went into picking, grinding, and pressing! So, lets hear what you are making!

Don't toss the high acid cider, pull out some .5 liter samples and see if you can make some adjustments. But a better plan would be to get 1 gallon jugs and bottle it up and put it aside until you can make some low acid cider and then blend it.
You may still be able to get some fresh juice from cider producers.
I make pear cider every year to use for blending with ciders with too much acidity.

Don't toss the high acid cider, pull out some .5 liter samples and see if you can make some adjustments. But a better plan would be to get 1 gallon jugs and bottle it up and put it aside until you can make some low acid cider and then blend it.
You may still be able to get some fresh juice from cider producers.
I make pear cider every year to use for blending with ciders with too much acidity.
Wasn't planning to toss the high acid batch. It is the high SO2 batch that is a possibility. Lots of options for the high acid batch.

My bad! We need a few more peeps.... @Yooper is ....anyone else?? Bueller?? Bueller??

Back