Hangovers and Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll get an occasional hangover after a night hanging with the neighbors, with frequent trips to the kegerator...but there's usually a bottle of Jack making the rounds as well. The worst hangover I got from my homebrew was after a few pints of an american strong that was over 9%, and young. Ouch.

Yeah any of the Miller and bud and especially Michelob are bad at headaches for me... Thank god I don't drink them unless free and nothing else is available.

My apfelwein has been known to cause hangovers .. that stuff sneaks up on people who drink too much and wonder why everything is spinning after a few glasses.

I was just thinking about posting a thread explaining why home brew was better for you than commercial brew. But I haven't had time to make up facts and stories to illustrate made-up points. I think I need a few beers before I can attain the needed BS levels.

BS aside, is your homebrew the same styles as bmc that causes the hangovers? If they are not the same or similar style, you cannot necessarily draw the conclusion.

I've totally noticed this and I'm beginning to wonder what else goes into commercial beer except barley, hops and water. For reasons I don't understand, in the EU brewers are exempt from declaring the full list of ingredients on the bottles so there could be all kinds of preservatives, stabilizers and whatever else in there and we don't get told about it.

I received an e-mail from the BeerSmith newsletter back in March of this year, titled “[BSHB] The Advantages of Home Brewed Beer”, it mentioned reduced hangovers…

Reduced Hangovers - Home brewed beer contains a large quantity of yeast with Vitamin B. Vitamin B reduces the effects of a hangover naturally. Commercial beers are filtered and pasteurized, both of which strip the vitamin B from the beer and lead to hangovers.

It's all about the B12 that the yeast produce. The big commercial brews are all filtered, your homebrew isn't. Yeast make alcohol, but they also make good stuff to make you not feel as bad. Look it up.

I received an e-mail from the BeerSmith newsletter back in March of this year, titled “[BSHB] The Advantages of Home Brewed Beer”, it mentioned reduced hangovers…

Reduced Hangovers - Home brewed beer contains a large quantity of yeast with Vitamin B. Vitamin B reduces the effects of a hangover naturally. Commercial beers are filtered and pasteurized, both of which strip the vitamin B from the beer and lead to hangovers.

I had heard this too...

I think we may be on the brink of uncovering a conspiracy...
Vitamin B12 prevents hangovers.
Commercial beers have been stripped of this.
B12. What's the 'B' stand for?
Beer.
Beer is both the cause of and the cure for hangover, but only in the right proportion.
But what does the '12' mean?
12 months in a year? 12 hours in a day? 12 monkeys in a barrel??
Wait, beer comes in barrels!?!
It's the twelfth beer!
You have to drink a 12th one to counteract the first eleven!
Eureeka!

I think we may be on the brink of uncovering a conspiracy...
Vitamin B12 prevents hangovers.
Commercial beers have been stripped of this.
B12. What's the 'B' stand for?
Beer.
Beer is both the cause of and the cure for hangover, but only in the right proportion.
But what does the '12' mean?
12 months in a year? 12 hours in a day? 12 monkeys in a barrel??
Wait, beer comes in barrels!?!
It's the twelfth beer!
You have to drink a 12th one to counteract the first eleven!
Eureeka!
Beer often comes in 6-packs (or multiples of 6 such as 12, 18, 24, 30) thats some illuminati numerology shizz right there.

I thought I saw a show with Jim Koch of Sam Adams saying he eats like a teaspoon of yeast for a few a days before a big beer fest to keep from getting really drunk or having a hangover. Could the active yeast in home brew be giving us a similar protection? Four hour beer fest sampling 50-60 brews, i am buzzed but not bad and feel good the next day.

I do notice it's not as bad, BUT if I do overindulge there is a hangover regardless of what I drink. Not as severe with homebrew (usually no headache but I still feel lethargic the next day if I have too many). Though lately I haven't been getting any hangovers since I don't tend to over indulge as much. I drink now to enjoy the taste of the beer and not get smashed. Not to mention I treat my homebrews like liquid gold now, and if I feel like I've already got a good buzz going & would just get a diminished return if I grabbed one more, I pass on getting any more beers.

I drank more when I was using my mini keg for half my batch, it was easy to grab a bunch of extra small pours, which would put me over the edge. Now I bottle everything, so I think twice about if I should grab an extra full beer or not lol.

I drank more when I was using my mini keg for half my batch, it was easy to grab a bunch of extra small pours, which would put me over the edge. Now I bottle everything, so I think twice about if I should grab an extra full beer or not lol.
No doubt it is easier to over indulge if you have beer on tap. I occasionally do this very thing, but not so much anymore. I usually wont put anything really big on tap, just in case. :D

Related to this....I've found that hazy IPAs trigger migraines for me. It's true for both homebrews and commercially brewed hazy beers.
I'm not sure if it is the biotransformation of the hops due to when the dry hops are pitched or possibly the yeast strain that tends to go along with hazy beers but I'm not willing to continue testing until I find the exact answer.

Anybody else?

Related to this....I've found that hazy IPAs trigger migraines for me. It's true for both homebrews and commercially brewed hazy beers.
I'm not sure if it is the biotransformation of the hops due to when the dry hops are pitched or possibly the yeast strain that tends to go along with hazy beers but I'm not willing to continue testing until I find the exact answer.

Anybody else?

Interesting. I’ve had migraines with aura since I was a kid. I have noticed that I’ve had a number of them lately and do have my first neipa on tap. There has also been a lot of storms lately too, and it could be the barometric pressure. Who knows? Never been able to find a definite trigger.

Anybody else?
I can't drink any Michelob beers -- instant headache. I don't know why...

Interesting. I’ve had migraines with aura since I was a kid. I have noticed that I’ve had a number of them lately and do have my first neipa on tap. There has also been a lot of storms lately too, and it could be the barometric pressure. Who knows? Never been able to find a definite trigger.

Storms and barometric changes for sure (at least here). It took me a while to make the connection to hazy IPAs, though.
On the one hand, it sucks.
On the other hand, as you know, any time you can find a cause and eliminate it is a good day.
And there are plenty of non-hazy IPAs and other styles out there so I won't shed too many tears over my loss.

Good luck on your end.

Anybody else?
I was just chatting with a gent at the local brewery about this very issue. He says about half the IPA's he's tried trigger major headaches, often times before he's finished half of his first glass. I've had the same issue myself at times...no idea why or wth the exact cause is.

I've found I can get a hangover from just about any beer. Although W00tstout really does it for me...mainly because it's so damn good I have issues throttling after the first glass. Every since I adopted the "Glass of beer to glass of water" it's much better.

I was just chatting with a gent at the local brewery about this very issue. He says about half the IPA's he's tried trigger major headaches, often times before he's finished half of his first glass. I've had the same issue myself at times...no idea why or wth the exact cause is.

I've found I can get a hangover from just about any beer. Although W00tstout really does it for me...mainly because it's so damn good I have issues throttling after the first glass. Every since I adopted the "Glass of beer to glass of water" it's much better.
Drinking a glass of water between each beer really is the best way to prevent hangovers! It's hard to overindulge when your stomach is getting twice the liquid!

True. Water between beers does help slow things down and keep you hydrated but unfortunately does nothing in terms of migraines.

I adopted the water-between-beers approach years ago and can say that it helps tremendously in terms of preventing hangovers. Now, if you're downing bombers of high ABV stuff, then all bets are off!

Last edited:
Sulfates could be the cause of your headaches. IPAs are known for having higher sulfates and sulfates are known to cause headaches. Alternating between rockstars and beers is a great way to prevent a hangover!

Sulfates could be the cause of your headaches. IPAs are known for having higher sulfates and sulfates are known to cause headaches. Alternating between rockstars and beers is a great way to prevent a hangover!

Interesting. Do sulfates and high hop content go hand in hand ?

The beers that bugged me the most seemed to be BMC brands, especially the ones aged with beechwood.

The unfiltered homebrews seemed much less bothersome, even the ones turning out a higher ABV than session. I'd love to make my own cask ale now that wooden barrels scaled for the homebrew crowd are now available, but there's this nagging thought in the back of my mind about the quality of the wood and how well it's cured...
My sissy session beer is generally under 10 SRM and contains low amounts of hops and sulfate, nowhere near American pale ale or IPA strength, so any hangovers might be beyond my realm of experience.
I typically eat when drinking so hangovers caused by excess are a rare occurrence.

Back