Handpump connection advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might be a bad breather, it did arrive faulty but with the help of RLBS I managed to fix it. Can still be some other issue remaining of course, but I don't feel the need to go back to it now, I'm quite happy with how the mylar bags works. I try to transfer to them as oxygen free as possible and I guess I finish one rather quickly.

So I got my hand pull all set up, I first set it up in my basement and was serving a strong bitter at basement temp, currently 52f and it's great. I hosted our homebrew club meeting this past Tuesday and we have some older gentlemen that I didn't want to have to walk down my basement stairs. So I ran a line up to my kitchen, it's probably a 15 ish foot run and I could probably trim some of the line off but I'm getting some air in the line that I wasn't getting when I was serving from the basement, though the pours are still good. My question is, if I were to move the demand valve to upstairs closer to the handpull would that eliminate my issue? Currently the demand valve is next to the keg in the basement, and I am serving via a corny keg with about 2psi of co2 pressure.

So I got my hand pull all set up, I first set it up in my basement and was serving a strong bitter at basement temp, currently 52f and it's great. I hosted our homebrew club meeting this past Tuesday and we have some older gentlemen that I didn't want to have to walk down my basement stairs. So I ran a line up to my kitchen, it's probably a 15 ish foot run and I could probably trim some of the line off but I'm getting some air in the line that I wasn't getting when I was serving from the basement, though the pours are still good. My question is, if I were to move the demand valve to upstairs closer to the handpull would that eliminate my issue? Currently the demand valve is next to the keg in the basement, and I am serving via a corny keg with about 2psi of co2 pressure.
With a long line, yes, I think it’s better to have the demand valve closer to the pump.

Edit: double check there’s no air entering a poor seal where the line connects to and exits the valve. That’s been an issue for me. Eyeball it while someone else pulls the pump.

Last edited:
I was thinking that.. I'll change it around and see what happens, thanks. Here is a bad pic of a pour from yesterday, the beer is clear, the pic is blurry.
20240314_183035.jpg

Back