Hallertauer Perle hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeychef

Reaction score
Someone I know has some "Hallertauer Perle 45 10% Alpha hops pellets" (what the bag has printed on it) that he said I could buy off of him, maybe only enough to make maybe a batch or two of homebrew. Problem is, I really don't know much about them at all. The wiki says "It has a pleasant aroma with a minty character." and that it's commonly used in German lagers and wheat beers.

Do you guys have a better description of what it's good for and what it's like, as well as any favorite ways to use these particular hops?

I'm guessing the wheat beer might be a decent idea with warmer weather just around the bend.

Thanks! :D

The name Hallertauer on a hop can be a bit confusing, because it is also the major hop rowing region in Germany. What we think of as Hallertauer is called Hallertauer Mittelfrüher in Germany, or even Hallertauer Hallertauer Mittelfrüher if grown in in the Hallertauer region. There's a whole page in the wiki.

What you have is Perle hops grown in Bavaria.

They are a terrible smelling hop. Mail them directly to me and I'll see to it that they are disposed of properly :)

No really, they are my bittering hop of choice for nearly all German style beers, and are acceptable for aroma in some beers. They are much finer than their American Perle counterpart in my opinion. They bitter similarly to Northern Brewer but smell more like Mittelfrue.

Thank you so much guys. I'll keep the advice in mind for the future. I might want to get together a good German wheat by the time summer hits, and these sound like they'll come in handy after all.

Latest posts

Back