Hallertau Mittlefreuh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FunkedOut

FunkedOver
Reaction score
Why?
Why is it that we’re almost at the end of 2017, and there’s no 2017 crop HM anywhere?
Why?

I love this hop and want to buy a pound of the fresh crop but can’t seem to find anything fresher than 2016.
What am I missing?

Maybe because " they " need and wait to sell the 2016 crop first and then sell the new one? Minimizing loss is something shops that sell stuff for money would do...

https://47hops.com/shortage

Drought caused a severe hop shortage in the German hop growing regions. Most likely most of the hops went to current contracts for those companies/breweries/distributors that had contracts for the 2017 crop. As home brewers, we usually get whatever is left.

thanks for the bad news.
looks like maybe grabbing a pound of 2016 and hoping for the best in 2018 is in order...

Liberty is a pretty good domestic substitute. Yakima Valley has 2017 Liberty in stock for $10.99 per pound. And 2016 in stock for $5 per pound.

Quoting from their website:
Of the four triploid Hallertau Mittelfrueh varieties released, Liberty most closely resembles the Hallertau Mittelfrüh.

Last edited:
today, i received a package from my sorta local hbs (they're almost an hour away).
the hallertau mittlefruh i ordered has a date of 1/4/17. :oops:
seems that article is accurate; this pack has an alpha acid level of 2.6%.
all of the previous packs have been well over 4%.

i'll give liberty a try.
looking for a substitute led me to mount hood. i have a few packs of that came in the mail today to work with.
looks like i have some brewing and drinking to do. :ban:

i'll give liberty a try.
looking for a substitute led me to mount hood. i have a few packs of that came in the mail today to work with.
looks like i have some brewing and drinking to do. :ban:

As I understand it, Mt. Hood was the first of four attempts which have been made to domestically match the flavor characteristics of Hallertau Mittelfrüh. It is very good, but overall Liberty comes the closest.

Crystal is also one of the four. I still need to identify the last member of this group of four.

Edit: The last of the four appears to be 'Ultra'.

Last edited:
I picked up a pound of 2016 hallertau at yakima valley hops for a decent price. They came with an AA of 4.3%.
They had on sale, liberty and mt. hood, $5 a pound. Got a pound of each.

I tend to get a skunky flavor/aroma from hallertau MF hops(kegged beer) so I have been using hallertau tradition. Does anyone else get that skunky flavor/aroma from hallertau MF?

I noticed this too. My LHBS has been out for months. They have also been out of regular hallertau. Sucks because I wanted to try it in a hefe

Latest posts

Back