Hallertau Hops AA%

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boodlemania

Reaction score
I received 4 oz of Hallertau pellets from AHS this week. The packages state that the AA% is 1%. BeerSmith has Hallertau at around 4%. If I'm shooting for a German Hefe with an IBU of 10-12, do I need to correct the AA% in BeerSmith (essentially quadrupling my hops requirement)?

BeerSmith called for 1oz of 4%AA hops to reach ~12 IBU's. Does that mean I need 4oz of 1%AA hops to reach the same IBU's?

i'd use 2-3 ounces if it really is 1%. make a NEW hops entry in beersmith and plug in the 1%, see where it takes you.

i can't believe they sold you 1% AA hallertau. i've never seen any hops that low, let alone hallertau. you may wish to call them and confirm that's the actual percentage.

If you actually type Austin Homebrew instead of AHS, Forrest may find this thread and reply. So to help the OP...

Austin Homebrew Austin Homebrew Austin Homebrew Austin Homebrew Austin Homebrew Austin Homebrew

Yes, some Hallertau are that low. They were breed for flavor & aroma without adding much bitterness. Some Saazers are only 2%

I would just use a (very) small quantity of a neutral high AA hop for bittering.

the lowest AA% hop i've ever seen is my 1.9% styrian golding (well worth the $2.25/ounce, btw :D)

seeing as hallertau can be used for bittering in certain styles, i still don't see why they would sell that low of percentage without advertising it.

how did you purchase it? online/phone? did they let you know what the AA% was going to be?

I sent a PM to Forrest of Austin Homebrew Supply referencing this thread, so I'm sure he will chime in when he gets a chance.

The Alpha of our current stock of Hallertau is 1.5%. This is about the only Hallertau that is going to be available for the next couple years. You can boil the hops for 90 minutes and once the 60 minutes are up start adding your extract like normal. This will increase the bittering on the hops.

Forrest

I'm not surprised. The noble hops at my brewstore have been in the low 2%s, and the last fuggles they had were 1.5%.

I'm with david_42 on this one. For bittering, use a different hop with an AA% in the range you need, save the Hallertau hops for flavor/aroma.

Back