Half gallon fermentation. Have you done it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arcan

Reaction score
Hi I am wondering how small can you go on fermentation vessels? I am planning to use 2.5 liters PET coke bottles. Do you think it's worth the effort? Would you do it? Have you done it? Thanks. (I want to experiment making many different kinds of beers in short time)

Probably not worth the effort as you are going to create enough krausen on the fermenting beer to eliminate about 1/3rd of the usable space in a container that small. Works OK with mead, but even then the least I've done is a half gallon batch in a 1 gallon fermenter unless propagating yeast from bottle dregs.

Welcome!
You can efficiently use small fermenters by brewing one wort and splitting it into different batches. Different yeasts, different dry hops, adding fruit, spice or sugar will all make different beers.
But I still might look for gallon bottles. Good luck, let us know what you do.

i've plit a batch in a bunch of half gallon mason jars when i was comparing different yeasts. it worked pretty good.

just get a few of the "pickling lids" for the jars.

J.

Those bottles will work fine. Leave enough headspace, about 1/4 - 1/3 for krausen and foam.

Now whether brewing several 1.75 liter batches is worth the effort, is your call. It takes about the same time to brew 1.75 liter as it takes to brew 10 or 20 liter. But you do get the variety.

Once I brewed 8 1.25 liter batches using different malts for a tasting experiment. It was a lot of work. I mashed and boiled in 4 different pots, staggered. It kept me very busy that afternoon. Mind you, just for comparing the different flavors, what those various grains taste like as beer, those were a great size. Not so if your friends come over for having a beer.

I ferment 0.44 gallon, 56 oz. (yields 4 x 12 oz. bottles) in 2 liter soda bottles all the time because I like beer but don't drink much. Allows for more experimentation/variety in my case. Also, no one I know drinks much beer so I don't need gallons of it even when I share it.

I also bottle in 12 oz. plastic soda bottles. Practically no risk of exploding them and it is a good use of the empty soda bottles.

i've brewed a normal sized batch and saved off just enough to put into a growler for experiments. the only downside is bottling is a bit of a PITA because it still takes time and effort to sanitize everything and rack and you only get a bomber bottle or two filled. but it's doable if you're curious what effect a yeast strain will have or different hops for dry hopping or some type of addition like chocolate or coffee.

Back