half batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msleeve_ak

Reaction score
is it ok to use a 6.5 gal carboy to ferment only 2.5 gal of brew? Or will there be too much o2 in it?

thanks

msleeve_ak said:
is it ok to use a 6.5 gal carboy to ferment only 2.5 gal of brew? Or will there be too much o2 in it?

That would be fine. As the beer ferments, there will be a layer of CO2 on top of it. After a while, the CO2 will push out all of the atmospheric air.

Plus it'll give you lots of air to mix O2 into the wort when you slosh it around right before adding the yeast.

Why only 2.5? More brews, more variety. I want to brew every darn weekend just so I can taste all the different ones and experiment with subtle changes and how they would affect the batch. I know I surely can't drink it this fast! I have been considering 2.5's as well. It would also reduce the equipment size and if your considering all of the stainless steel pots that I'm looking at, that would save alot of money :)

DyerNeedOfBeer said:
Why only 2.5? I know I surely can't drink it this fast!
I'm sure that once you start producing your brews, you'll probably have plenty of friends who will be willing to help out with disposing of any excess inventory! :D

D-brewmeister said:
I'm sure that once you start producing your brews, you'll probably have plenty of friends who will be willing to help out with disposing of any excess inventory! :D

Gawd, ain't that the truth! :) Although, my freinds feign guilt... "Are you sure? I mean, I don't want to drink all of your beer!" But once I insist, it's 'Katy, bar the door'. ;)

However, I can see the merit in doing 2.5 gal. batches and the desire to "brew every darn weekend" and "taste all the different ones and experiment." :p

I'm considering doing half batches (2.5 gallon) once I start all graining too. I'm dying to brew but I can't find a keg to convert into a brewpot ANYWHERE. That leaves me with the only option of using my current pot.

I like the idea of experimentation with smaller batches too--I'm gonna experiment with hops and different yeasts big time. Once I find something I really like I'll start going bigger. Oh yeah, and once I find a keg.

Sabco sells kegs but they are gonna be around 100 bucks plus shipping. For this price, the top is already cut out and two nipples welded near the bottom, one for a valve and the other for a thermometer (or whatever else uses you desire). I have been looking for kegs myself to save money over the sabco option but with little success.

I'm really wanting to find a 1/4 barrel keg (half the size of the ones which seem to typically be used in this hobby). I think that would be perfect for doing these 'half' batches. As mentioned in my last post of this thread... half batches would put you in the range of using the 22qt s.s. pots from Wal-Mart. These pots are tripple bottom (scorch protection) and just all around very nice. Mine was 45 bucks and I'm sure you could get others around this size without the heavy bottom for probly under 20 bucks.:)

DyerNeedOfBeer said:
half batches would put you in the range of using the 22qt s.s. pots from Wal-Mart. These pots are tripple bottom (scorch protection) and just all around very nice. Mine was 45 bucks and I'm sure you could get others around this size without the heavy bottom for probly under 20 bucks.:)

That's exactly what I already have. :)
Other brewers I've talked to about doing half batches just cringe at the thought. I think it makes perfect sense if you want to experiment. I'm going to hold off on the keg kettle until I come across a good deal. I'm not spending 100+ bucks on one though. My HBS sells them with a thermometer and a sight-glass for 140 total. Still too high for me.
Plus, I think I already have my heart set on brewing half batches until I get proficient at all-grain brewing.

Back