Haier Kegerator Died

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8rphan

Reaction score
Compressor starts and runs for a few seconds and then shuts off... Will try again a time or two after a few minutes, then it waits a long time before trying again..

Don't know much about refrigeration, but I'm assuming the relay is good since it starts and runs at all..

Could be the motor heater (overload relay), or perhaps bad bearings in the compressor? Would low coolant do that (thinking this is not likely the problem)..

I'm thinking that since it runs, then reading the resistance across the three compressor terminals won't tell me anything (or will it?)..

Anyone replaced the compressor on one of these things?

How hard is it to do?

I generally can troubleshoot and repair just about anything, have sweat miles of copper for residential plumbing, but never played with cutting into, sweating, and recharging coolant lines before...

Compressor starts and runs for a few seconds and then shuts off... Will try again a time or two after a few minutes, then it waits a long time before trying again..

Don't know much about refrigeration, but I'm assuming the relay is good since it starts and runs at all..

Could be the motor heater (overload relay), or perhaps bad bearings in the compressor? Would low coolant do that (thinking this is not likely the problem)..

I'm thinking that since it runs, then reading the resistance across the three compressor terminals won't tell me anything (or will it?)..

Anyone replaced the compressor on one of these things?

How hard is it to do?

I generally can troubleshoot and repair just about anything, have sweat miles of copper for residential plumbing, but never played with cutting into, sweating, and recharging coolant lines before...

My money is on the start device.

Remove the start device and shake it. If it rattles it's bad. If it doesn't, ohm it out to see if it's good.

The three terminals are your run, start, and common. The lowest resistance will be run + common. The middle resistance will be start + common. The highest resistance will be run + start. Generally if any are OL that could be a bad compressor. Yours runs so I wouldn't think that.

I wouldn't consider the gas, or lack thereof, as a culprit for this problem.

Last edited:
It doesn't rattle.. From what I can tell, nobody is selling the relay or heater separately, but it comes with the compressor.. Maybe it's a common part that can be sourced from an HVAC supplier?

It doesn't rattle.. From what I can tell, nobody is selling the relay or heater separately, but it comes with the compressor.. Maybe it's a common part that can be sourced from an HVAC supplier?

Do you have a model number of that fridge handy?

For giggles... Ohm out the left pin to ground. If there's resistance it means your run winding is grounded (bad thing) and you might be looking at a new kegerator.

For giggles... Ohm out the left pin to ground. If there's resistance it means your run winding is grounded (bad thing) and you might be looking at a new kegerator.

Infinite.. not grounded..

No can afford a new kegerator.. If compressor is shot, I'll have to learn how to replace it... Sears has a replacement for 88 bucks (plus whatever shipping costs), no picture but I suspect it includes a new start relay and motor heater...

Infinite.. not grounded..

No can afford a new kegerator.. If compressor is shot, I'll have to learn how to replace it... Sears has a replacement for 88 bucks (plus whatever shipping costs), no picture but I suspect it includes a new start relay and motor heater...

That sucks. I was searching around for a new (or even used) relay/overload and I got nothing. Replacing a compressor isn't that hard, it just requires special equipment and licensing. You can have it done, but you'd be hard pressed to pay less than 75% - 100% of the cost of a new fridge. Maybe do a trade out with an HVAC/appliance guy... services for beer?

While we're on the subject, once I get it fixed, is there a way to make it auto defrost? Maybe like attaching a reptile heater to coils inside the box, and putting it on a timer so it shuts off the fridge for a couple hours and runs the heater every couple days or something?

That thing builds up ice like crazy...

Last edited:
If I could find 'just the fridge' that might be affordable.. But no way can I afford a new kegerator.. All the beer stuff that comes with it would be mostly unused anyways, since I customized mine with a wooden three faucet tower, gas manifold, etc...

Having no luck finding fridge only version of this thing though...

I doubt it. Those things are almost bulletproof. If it kicks on then shuts off that sounds more electrical than mechanical.

I guess the next step is to take the relay and the heater to an appliance store and see if they got something.. and if it's not too expensive, then shotgun troubleshooting might make it work?

While we're on the subject, once I get it fixed, is there a way to make it auto defrost? Maybe like attaching a reptile heater to coils inside the ox, and putting it on a timer so it shuts off the fridge for a couple hours and runs the heater every couple days or something?

That thing builds up ice like crazy...

It's odd how a lot of manufacturers haven't figured this out yet. Is it the cold plate that freezes over or the drain hole? If it's the drain hole, a probe from the evap coils to in the hole generally works.

I guess the next step is to take the relay and the heater to an appliance store and see if they got something.. and if it's not too expensive, then shotgun troubleshooting might make it work?
That was going to be my next suggestion. Probably not the first time they've heard of this on this model.

It's odd how a lot of manufacturers haven't figured this out yet. Is it the cold plate that freezes over or the drain hole? If it's the drain hole, a probe from the evap coils to in the hole generally works.

It's the big plate with the evaporator coils in it.. Seems to freeze from top to bottom.. Like 6" thick...

Last edited:
My Haier quit working at some point a while ago here are some links that might be helpful. For mine I believe I took the start relay apart, cleaned contacts and flipped the wafer, been running ever since.

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDe...2630592?replacedManufacturerPartNumber=p6r8md
https://www.micromatic.com/forum/us...ity-home/9971-haier-kegerator-stopped-working
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/haier-kegerator-compressor.427528/
https://www.houserepairtalk.com/threads/whats-wrong-with-my-kegerator.5673/

Not sure why the Repair Clinic link isn't going to the part? Here is the part number:
Start Relay 312200500113

Last edited:
supco 3 in 1 start kit.jpg

Wooooooooo Hoooooooooo!

I bought a supco start relay capacitor 3-in-1 kit from Amazon for 13 bucks, and hooked it up to my kegerator and it 'works!'

That means I don't have to replace the compressor, but just need to buy a start relay and overload for the thing (probably 30 bucks) once I find the right ones, pull this bypass kit back out, install the new parts, and I'm good to go...

Just dodged an expensive bullet (and major hassle)...

Kegerator is running and cooling and hasn't shut off in over an hour now (would only run for a few seconds before)...

Now I can get back to finishing the modifications on my brewery (adding mash recirculation, already have all the stuff), and then I can brew again!

Yippee! Just in time for summer!

I'm STOKED!

God is good!
2764.png

Supco 3 in 1 start relay kit

Last edited by a moderator:
My Haier quit working at some point a while ago here are some links that might be helpful. For mine I believe I took the start relay apart, cleaned contacts and flipped the wafer, been running ever since.

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDe...2630592?replacedManufacturerPartNumber=p6r8md
https://www.micromatic.com/forum/us...ity-home/9971-haier-kegerator-stopped-working
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/haier-kegerator-compressor.427528/
https://www.houserepairtalk.com/threads/whats-wrong-with-my-kegerator.5673/

Not sure why the Repair Clinic link isn't going to the part? Here is the part number:
Start Relay 312200500113
I did the same when I bought my kegerator as broken on craigslist about 4 years ago... been running great ever since.. it did the same thing where it tried to kick on a few times..

View attachment 568001
Wooooooooo Hoooooooooo!

I bought a supco start relay capacitor 3-in-1 kit from Amazon for 13 bucks, and hooked it up to my kegerator and it 'works!'

That means I don't have to replace the compressor, but just need to buy a start relay and overload for the thing (probably 30 bucks) once I find the right ones, pull this bypass kit back out, install the new parts, and I'm good to go...

Kegerator is running and cooling and hasn't shut off in over an hour now (would only run for a few seconds before)...

Now I can get back to finishing the modifications on my brewery (adding mash recirculation, already have all the stuff), and then I can brew again!

I'm STOKED!

God is good!
2764.png

you would be surprized at how many people toss fridges/freezers and the like when its a $20 starter that fails... I fixed a few this way that I got for free. same with AC units people store on thier side and then try to run right away...

View attachment 568001
Wooooooooo Hoooooooooo!

I'm STOKED!

God is good!
2764.png

Why not leave the Supco in the kegerator? I ran an upright freezer with a Supco for a couple of years before the compressor died (it was a 1998 model and replacement parts were unavailable) and I replaced it with a new chest freezer.

Latest posts

Back