Haier HNSE05 Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerdass

Reaction score
Long time lurker...

Anyone successfully convert a Haier HNSE05 into a kegerator with a tower? I've searched around, but couldn't find anyone that had done it, but at the same time, couldn't find anyone that said they couldn't do it for one reason or another.

http://www.haieramerica.com/en/product/HNSE05SS

I just picked one of these up for $40 that's in really good shape. The size seams right and 4.6 cu/ft. It does have an internal freezer that I would have to bend back, but for the price, it's worth a shot unless there is some other reason.

I of course would rather have the Sanyo or Danby's that everyone says are the best, but this is so damn cheap, I just grabbed it.

I'm a complete NewB as far as home brewing. Haven't really even started yet. I will probably set this up for commercial kegs (if possibe) to start with, and then switch it to corny's once I actually start making some of my own.

Just wanted to see if anyone has done it or says it's impossible.

Thanks

G

I did not drill through the top or bend the freezer back but I did pack the front out with a 1x8 and some insulation and can now fit 2 corny's and the co2 tank in there. I drilled a 2" hole in the 1x8 and ran a small section of 2" pvc through the fridge to the tower on top of my bar. Beer lines and a tube blowing cold air from the fridge through the tower are inside the pvc.

I did not drill through the top or bend the freezer back but I did pack the front out with a 1x8 and some insulation and can now fit 2 corny's and the co2 tank in there. I drilled a 2" hole in the 1x8 and ran a small section of 2" pvc through the fridge to the tower on top of my bar. Beer lines and a tube blowing cold air from the fridge through the tower are inside the pvc.

Do you think there would be room for 2 cornys without extending the front? I don't mind messing with the freezer, but don't want to waste my money if 2 kegs won't fit.

I dont think 2 would fit without cutting the shelving off the door, I believe it is glued on and not screwed as other mini fridges are. But honestly I didnt even try since I knew I was putting the collar on and wasnt planning to mess with bending back the freezer.

I dont have any on me now since I am at work but I can take some when I get home and post them either tonight or tomorrrow am.

It actually was a breeze to do. I cut some 1x8's to fit the size of the fridge opening so the outsides were flush. Once they were screwed together I put some foam weather stripping on the frame that was going to have contact with the fridge and some metal strips on the door side. I also insulated the inside of the colar with some foamn baord insulation. I then used 4 metal straps similiar to these (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053) and attached one to each corner of the fridge using the holes where the door would mount then screwing into the wood collar. I did not have to drill any holes into the fridge. The door is then mounted on the front of the collar using the original door hinges. If I ever wanted to I could put the fridge back to original in about 10 minutes with no signs of being modded since nothing I did was permanent.

it sounds more complicated then it is. Until i get pictures if you lsearch for fermentation chambers it is a similiar idea.

I added a collar to an HNES04, pics here. I didn't put any holes in the fridge and the collar is only secured as the fridge is wedged into the back of the frame and the collar is attached to the frame. I did rip out the door shelving and put a piece of 1/4" plywood there. I can easily fit two kegs and the tank, I think with thinner insulation I might be able to fit 3 kegs.

Thanks for the pics. I've got a chance for one for $50 and I can't decide if I want to take a chance on bending the freezer. I don't think my space will accommodate a large extension on the front although that would probably be the better option since it definitely won't kill the fridge if something goes wrong.

Has anyone followed through on one of these conversions? I have a chance to buy the Haier HNSE05SS myself, but I want to know how it will work out.

Will it hold 2 corny kegs and a 5lb CO2 tank inside without putting a collar on it?

Are there any other drawbacks to using this particular model of fridge?

Back