Haier 7.1 Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amath

Reaction score
My 1st attempt at building a keezer. Many thanks to the members of homebrewtalk. I don't think I would have attempted the build without all the good info provided here.

The cons of my design: The collar is a combination of 2x12's and 2x2's making the height an issue when loading corny's. Fortunately for me I'm tall so it's not to much of an issue.

Pros: Plenty of room in the keezer above the corny's and with a light weight lid it makes easy access, I plan on hanging the metal basket that came with the freezer for bottled beer, yeast, etc.

keezer.jpg

Nice functional art. I like it. Please shoot a photo of it open. Do you have to pull it away from the wall to swing back the top? And did you line the wooden areas with insulation?

Here's a couple pics, one showing the interior (insulated) and the other showing the clearance needed from the wall when open, maybe a couple inches which is the reason I went this route instead of a coffin. I like the coffin designs I've seen but I'm limited on space.

keezer2.png

keezer3.png

Very nice, indeed! I actually just picked up the same chest freezer at Sams Club this weekend to build my keezer.

What type of wood and stain did you use?

Very nice, indeed! I actually just picked up the same chest freezer at Sams Club this weekend to build my keezer.

What type of wood and stain did you use?

Thanks! I used Poplar trim and Birch plywood. Stained with 4 coats of Varathane Gel Stain 'Red Mahogany', then 3 coats of Varathane satin polyurethane, oil based, fast drying interior. I also used Varathane wood conditioner prior to staining.

Thanks! I used Poplar trim and Birch plywood. Stained with 4 coats of Varathane Gel Stain 'Red Mahogany', then 3 coats of Varathane satin polyurethane, oil based, fast drying interior. I also used Varathane wood conditioner prior to staining.

Wow, thanks for the info! Looks amazing! One of the best builds I have seen.

You can't post something this nice without step by step build pictures. I'm pretty sure you're breaking a HBT rule.

Funny! Here's a few pics of the build.

The base. 3" swivel caster wheels, 2x4's and 3/4" plywood. Several 3" holes were put in the plywood after the pic to allow a little more ventilation.
20160326_170114.jpg
The Collar. 1st layer is made of 2x2's on the sides and back, the front is a 1x10 on top of a 1x3. The 1x3 provides an area to nail the top edge of the front plywood, the 1x10 is for the shelf/drip tray. Then a layer of 2x12's. All put together with construction adhesive and stainless steel screws. All joints caulked and the inside of the collar insulated. Not sure why but the last pic is flipped upside down.
20160404_182944.jpg20160404_182930.jpgflip.jpgView attachment 353796

Gorgeous. Any idea of what it cost you to complete?

I didn't keep track of the costs. With that said, here's a few that I can think of:
$140 Chest freezer on sale
$23 Casters for 4
$40 4x8x1/2" birch veneer
$80 for trim and lid
$15 for tile
$15 for grille
$25 for led light strip
$22 for drip tray

Total $360
Probably at least another hundred for misc such as bolts,nuts,screws,stain,varnish,tile adhesive,grout...
And this list doesn't include any of the equipment to get your beer from the kegs to the taps. I also put a computer fan in mine $17 and a dehumidifier $20

Hope this helps.

Thanks. $500 ain't too shabby for a nice piece like this. I will lock this away as inspiration for a future build for the next house! Cheers.

Looks amazing. How did you navigate the display on the front lower right and the ventilation on the right side?

Looks amazing. How did you navigate the display on the front lower right and the ventilation on the right side?

The front panel is 1/2" from the freezer front which allows room for the temperature controller. The freezers temperature controller is no longer accessible from the front. If for some reason I need to access it I can do so through the side vent. I removed the factory louvers and installed black louvers on the cabinet. Hope this helps. Cheers

Keezer4.jpg

I've had my keezer going for over 2 1/2 years now and thought I'd share an update. I was concerned that the freezer might overheat from a lack of space between the cabinet and freezer walls, so far (knock on wood) zero problems. Another worry was how well the finish would hold up to the inevitable spills and splashes that at times will sit on the wood for days, again zero problems, it looks like new. The LED lights are on 24/7 without ever needing a replacement, which is no surprise. I've gone through around 60 kegs of beer and cider and couldn't be happier!

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I love your build. I am half way through with my 5.0 cu ft keezer build using your design. What type of bolts did you use to fasten the lid to the lid of the freezer? It looks counter sunk since its flush mount, but I can't tell from the photos. I see you used fender washers and nuts on the bottom.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I love your build. I am half way through with my 5.0 cu ft keezer build using your design. What type of bolts did you use to fasten the lid to the lid of the freezer? It looks counter sunk since its flush mount, but I can't tell from the photos. I see you used fender washers and nuts on the bottom.
I believe they're SS carriage bolts, not the most eye appealing part of the build. Let me know if you come up with a better way!

Attachments

• IMG_20190415_152312.jpg
    IMG_20190415_152312.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 143
Bringing this thread back! So my wife gave me the ultimatum that if I build a keezer, it has to be a coffin keezer.....until I showed her this build!

How is it holding up?? I’m highly considering doing it with a 5.0 cuft freezer. 3 taps should be good for us

I changed amath's design slightly. I have a 3/4" gap between my plywood and freezer on the front (2/3 up) and 100% on the side walls. The back is open for ventilation. I also changed where my taps where located. But it looks very, very similar with the tiled backsplash. I went with a 2 x 6 collar, but wish I used a 2 x 8 collar so I could store 3 corny kegs. Right now I have two taps, and I am on my third batch of beer. I added a remote controlled LED rope light from Home Depot to light the interior and exterior as well. Not regretting this build at all.

Oh, and I counter sunk my lid hardware. I glued in hardwood flat head wood plugs (from Home Depot) to hide the lid fasteners on the outside. I made sure they protruded above the lid some, then sanded them flush.

Attachments

• 20190414_104713_resized.jpg
    20190414_104713_resized.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 132
  • 20190414_104719_resized.jpg
    20190414_104719_resized.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 132
  • 20190421_172911_resized.jpg
    20190421_172911_resized.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 131
  • 20190421_172926_resized.jpg
    20190421_172926_resized.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 131
  • 20190422_221701_resized.jpg
    20190422_221701_resized.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 136
  • 20190424_195847_resized.jpg
    20190424_195847_resized.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 135
  • 20190424_195859_resized.jpg
    20190424_195859_resized.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 136
  • 20190424_195908_resized.jpg
    20190424_195908_resized.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 136
  • 20190424_195930_resized.jpg
    20190424_195930_resized.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 138
  • 20190426_205442_resized.jpg
    20190426_205442_resized.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 139
More complete photos. I have to give amath props for a well thought out design that was simple for someone like me who didn't have any carpentry or keezer build experience.

Edit: all exterior was oak plywood or trim boards except the lid. I cheaped-out using a pre-glued/sanded 1" x 24" x 36" pine/spruce/fir project panel. I was too lazy and cheap to glue together three oak 1 x 10's. I was afraid it wouldn't turn out flat enough, but it probably would have turned out better with a hard wood lid.

Attachments

• 20190426_205427_resized.jpg
    20190426_205427_resized.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 69
  • 20190426_205434_resized.jpg
    20190426_205434_resized.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:
More complete photos. I have to give amath props for a well thought out design that was simple for someone like me who didn't have any carpentry or keezer build experience.

Beautiful! Definitely inspired to do this build. Thanks guys

Btw, what is the overall height of your keezer?

It's 44" to the top of the closed lid (43.25" the top of the collar).

EDIT: I used 2" Polyurethane casters from Amazon that were rated to 55 lb per wheel w/ 2.83" overall height. They cost $16.99 for four casters. I wanted the lowest possible collar height because I am only 5'9". I wanted to be able lift the full kegs into the keezer without a step stool. To be honest a short step stool (10" high) would probably make it easier to clear the collar, but I am too lazy to get the step stool out.

Last edited:
It's 44" to the top of the closed lid (43.25" the top of the collar).

EDIT: I used 2" Polyurethane casters from Amazon that were rated to 55 lb per wheel w/ 2.83" overall height. They cost $16.99 for four casters. I wanted the lowest possible collar height because I am only 5'9". I wanted to be able lift the full kegs into the keezer without a step stool. To be honest a short step stool (10" high) would probably make it easier to clear the collar, but I am too lazy to get the step stool out.

Finally picked up a 5cuft freezer from Best Buy on sale and plan on sticking to this build style. A few things I’m still not sure about though. What size shanks did you go with? I’m also having a hard time figuring out how you guys attached the wood shelf for the drip tray

I used 4-1/8 shanks, but I had to counter-bore the collar on the inside because I didn't account for the thickness of the hose nipple nut. I would use longer if you don't want to counter-bore the collar.

Edit: On the front face of keezer, I have a 3/4" gap between the front face of freezer and the bottom 3/4" plywood. This bottom 3/4" board is about 2/3 of the height of the front face of the keezer. It hangs down past the 2 x 4 caster frame to hide the wheels. The top 1/3 of the keezer front face, I have 3/4" plywood that is flush with the top of the collar and overlaps the bottom 3/4" plywood about 3". The top 3/4" plywood sets the 3/4" air gap between the freezer and the bottom 3/4" plywood. The bottom 3/4" plywood board creates a step for the shelf to sit on. i also have 1 x 4 oak boards that acts as a support underneath the shelf. The 1 x 4's act like a gusset and also hide the bottom of the shelf so you can't see the bottom of spill tray.

Last edited:
Back