Keezer/bar build-in questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mashpaddled

Reaction score
I'm exploring building a bar in my basement in an area that is kind of an open space that we don't use so naturally is begging to be turned into a bar for my homebrew. It's under the kitchen near the sink so I want to take advantage of easy access to the drain and water connections to install a small sink and glass sprayer as well as an RO system for brewing liquor. The hitch in my vision is the area isn't big enough to build a walk around bar where the seating is behind a service area with the taps. It will need to be a straight bar against the wall with the seating facing the wall. More of a service bar on your way to other seating areas in the house than a place to lounge. My wife wants it to look nice and I know that means the keezer needs to get built into the bar. My thought is to do one of the trap door type builds and put a wood facade on the front of the bar so it has a nice look to it.

Here are the questions:

1. How long should I realistically expect a keezer to last? It's one thing to have to tear up a bar fifteen years from now and rebuild the cosmetics but I don't want to have to rebuild this every five years.

2. If there is a risk the freezer will pass away does it make sense to build the front facade so it is easily removed so I could slide out a dead freezer and replace it?

3. Is there an issue with letting the freezer bear the load of the bar on top of it? My thought is if I need to remove the front of the bar I could position the freezer near the front of the bar with no beams in front of it but 2x4s on the other three sides helping support the weight so the freezer is really only supporting the bar directly above it, a collar and the taps?

1. How long should I realistically expect a keezer to last? It's one thing to have to tear up a bar fifteen years from now and rebuild the cosmetics but I don't want to have to rebuild this every five years.

Not real sure on this one. I think it will depend on several factors. When I looked into this before, it seems the general consensus is that it will depend on how many times the freezer turns off and on through your temp controller. To help minimize this, I use a plain water jug (1 gallon) filled with water as my temperature probe home. That way it measures liquid temperature instead of air temp. For what it is worth, I got a great deal on a used freezer (~5 yrs old) and have been using it for 3 years as a keezer.

2. If there is a risk the freezer will pass away does it make sense to build the front facade so it is easily removed so I could slide out a dead freezer and replace it?

I can see the pro to this; however, I think it will come down to how you design your bar. If it fits into your design, I think this is an excellent idea (something I will remember when I build my bar).

3. Is there an issue with letting the freezer bear the load of the bar on top of it? My thought is if I need to remove the front of the bar I could position the freezer near the front of the bar with no beams in front of it but 2x4s on the other three sides helping support the weight so the freezer is really only supporting the bar directly above it, a collar and the taps?

I've never though of having my keezer take on the weight, but I'll refer back to your first two questions--it seems like you will replace your keezer at some point. Also, if you have a top door freezer, you may not enjoy having a weight-bearing bartop on it when it is time to swap out kegs.

Parting thoughts...
Keep in mind, that you can make your keezer look nice--or at least like a "fashion" piece to your basement. For instance, if the room is "beer themed" then a decent looking keezer would fit just fine. If the room has no theme to it, then probably go with a facade. I spray-painted my keezer with black appliance paint and stained my collar--really changes the look of the keezer.

Your freezer enclosure will need to be able to breathe. Keep in mind that your freezer will have a motor running producing warm air. Based on your description of the room, you may need to manage that air to prevent it from being trapped inside a wooden box (bar).

Back