Had my first brew day yesterday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boralyl

Reaction score
I spent yesterday late morning - early afternoon outside brewing on my SP10. I was able to easily boil 5 gallons and followed every step. The brew I tried was an extract kit with specialty grains from midwest supplies, specifically their Ferocious IPA clone kit.

I think I only had one problem, so I'll throw it out there to see what everyone thinks. I used a wort chiller(sanatized in the wort for a minute during boil) and it worked great. The wort was chilled down to 75 in about 15-20 minutes. I had the lid partially covering the top to try to prevent exposure to the air. When it reached the desired temp I removed the lid and noticed I had about a gallon more of wort then when I started. It appears I didn't have one of the hose clamps on tight enough so some water from the wort chiller leaked out. I just filled the primary bucket up to 5 gallons and discarded the extra gallon.

Will this effect my beer at all?

Well, by adding water you are lowering the OG of your beer. It will be lower in alcohol, however its still beer.

Personally I wouldn't have tossed out wort. It's fermentable, through it in your bucket. What you would have ended up with is more lower alcohol beers.

But don't worry at all, it's a learning experience and guess what...you've made beer.

CHEERS

Latest posts

Back