Had my first bottle bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ventucky805

Reaction score
Woke up last night to a popping doing accompanied by the sound of glass breaking.
Yep my first bottle bomb.
I had split the batch into regular 12 oz'ers and 22s I did the 22's at the end of the bottling process. This time I used table sugar (cane)instead of corn. I hadn't bottled for months as kegs have made a lazy man of me. I noticed about a week ago th the 12 oz bottles were under carved and the 22's were over carved with some sweetness still left (3weeks in bottle)
Should I put the 22's in the fridge to prevent more bombs or am I just screwed?
Maybe pop the tops and re cap to let the pressure off?
In the future how can I prevent this, stir the bottling bucket with the racking cane to ensure even distribution? I usually just rack the beer onto the priming sugar solution

There are only so many things that can cause bottle bombs. If you let the batch ferment out fully and you don't think it's infected, the most likely explanation is that the priming solution didn't get mixed thoroughly. If some bottles are under-carbed and others are over-carbed, that's the most likely explanation.

Stick 'em in the fridge immediately. Once they've cooled down, open them up and let them vent.

K thanks! the combo of get them cold to prevent beer fountains then pop to release pressure and recap makes sense. Got them in the fridge right now. Gonna re cap in a couple days. Definitely gonna wear safety goggles when I deal with them after seeing the shards those things can produce.
Thank for the quick response!

Back