Had an Interesting Explosion the Other Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarbinDallas

Reaction score
So....there was this huge **BANG** at our place about 1:00AM the other night. It reverberated through the house and made me sit straight up in bed, and I promptly poked my husband and asked, "what was that?" (yeah, like he knew anything at the moment). :rolleyes:

I thought it sounded like a giant plumber's monkeywrench coming down full force on the tongue of our trailer parked outside.

Nope. It was a bottle of kombucha, in my beautiful Angel's Envy Rye Whiskey bottle, enjoying the end of a long winter's secondary ferment. Yes, it had a cork. Yes, the bottle still blew into a billion pieces in order to save that poor little cork.

Priceless lessons:

1. Make sure corks are clean of kombucha or sugar
  2. Don't do the secondary ferment for 2+ months
  3. Burp my bottles
  4. Wear protective eyewear! (maybe even a helmet)

Thought you might enjoy this -- suggestions welcome!

I had a batch of Root Beer do that when I first made Soda. I wondered how the yeast were going to shut themselves down before the bottles exploded. The answer is: they don't!

Since then I've gotten a kegging system and I only do soda in kegs. It's much easier.

I never heard of that! Very cool! Do they work? Lol

Allegedly, exceptionally well. Another user in my area ferments an array of substances, and she swears by them. She was going to give me one to try out, but I haven't heard from her in quite some time. Maybe I should poke her on facebook, make sure all her microbes didn't turn on her. :confused:

Back