had a homebrew made from a 60's recipe book

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m3n00b

Reaction score
A friend made a small batch from a recipe he found in his grandpa's library just to see what came from it.. Forget everything he said but grains were boiled, sugar, honey and maple syrup were added in copious amounts, bread yeast was pitched in the 90s. He followed the instructions to the letter. The beer was horrible. It was tannic, cidery and hot. I can't believe people used to drink this stuff. So glad we have all of these quality ingredients nowadays.

Boiled grains? Yikes. My dad brewed some beers in the 70's in a glass carboy. Def extra stout! Strong roasty flavors should been allowed to sit for a while in the bottles. But we didn't really know any better back then. They sure would get you lit though!

Yeah he knew what he was doing was wrong but really wanted to see what gramps was brewing back n the day.

A friend made a small batch from a recipe he found in his grandpa's library just to see what came from it.. Forget everything he said but grains were boiled, sugar, honey and maple syrup were added in copious amounts, bread yeast was pitched in the 90s. He followed the instructions to the letter. The beer was horrible. It was tannic, cidery and hot. I can't believe people used to drink this stuff. So glad we have all of these quality ingredients nowadays.

we used to make beer in a plastic trash can . Of course bread yeast was all there was in them days . No bottling . Just drink it flat . YUM YUM

oof...bread yeast can leave behind some really nasty flavors from my experience and limited attempts to use it brewing.

my grandpa & granny made their own with barley syrup, table sugar, & bread yeast. open fermented, bottled with table sugar & a shot of vodka or everclear in each bottle. I don't know if it's still there, but there was a bunch of bottles in the bottom of a well outside of Alliance, NE from the late 1950's- early 1960's. happy hunting!

Back