Habitat for Humanity ReStore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anybody heard of these stores or been to one? Just ran across them while googling "cheap building supplies on my search for information on OSB board. Appearently big construction companies donate left over new/good condition building supplies and they have everything to wood, to hardware, to finishing supplies such as faucets and and lighting.
Think about hitting one of the ones around me for a scope out.
Curious if anyone has ever had any good finds at one or if some one frequents one?

we have one in Boston that is similiar, however it is aimed at people below the 50,000 dollar household income level. You have to apply for access to the supplies and include your most recent tax year information.

For those of us above 50k, craigslist works wonders...

There is one near my work, they have all kinds of random building materials at good prices. I haven't bought anything but I didn't notice anything about income requirements, just big open to the public signs all over the building.

I was just in one a couple of weeks ago near Sandusky OH. I didn't see any new stuff there, it was all reclaimed. Most was in good condition.

There was ALL kinds of stuff there. If your thinking of looking at one you need to take a list with you of just about everything you plan on doing at home with measurements etc. You might well see something that can be incorporated into a project that you hadn't even planned.

It Ain't exactly Lowes though. ;)

Edit: No income requirements at that one either.

I love them for finding all manner of scrap junk at reasonable prices...I've never seen an income requirement to shop at one either...it's basically a fundraiser for Habitat, often with donated building materials and stuff pulled out of some of the houses they repair. You never know what you find there...They're pretty much like the godowill or salvation army of construction junk...a retail front to bring in extra capital for their non profit.

Are you looking for OSB? What is it like $6 a sheet right now? 4 years ago it was $15!

I have no idea what it runs, Apparently the Lowes in Chillicothe doesn't carry it? I was just asking about these places for general construction merchandise and home repair. They ever have tools there? I'll have to check the one out in Lancaster or Columbus

i found all my cabinets for the brewroom at my local one, along with freezers, furnaces, carpet, old doors and windows, leftover paint and molding, etcetc.

We have two of them in Charlotte, NC which I lived on the outskirts of. Ours sell anything that you could imagine that has been gutted out of older houses; doors windows, sinks, faucets, cabinets, appliances. But they also sell leftovers from large lots of tile, wood trim, lighting, as well as furniture, artwork, glassware(!), etc.

I bought a well-built older armoire for $250 a couple years ago. I bought some granite tile for $1 just last weekend for some end tables I'm gonna cobble up.

Its true, if you're planning a remodel, want to save some money and are flexible when it comes to planning, head to one of these. I was kicking myself for paying for the junky stainless steel sink at Lowe's when the Restore had deep cast iron farm sinks for 35 bucks. I plan on remodeling my bathroom from that place- a well-built vanity that I will clean up and paint, sink, and tile for tub surround and countertop. Its gonna cut some of my costs by half.

There's one nearby. I've been there a couple times, but never found what I was looking for. I'm building a sunroom/greenhouse and would be happy with single-pane glass, figuring people would be taking these out and putting dual-panes in. But, HH doesn't accept any single-pane glass. Oh well.

I have no idea what it runs, Apparently the Lowes in Chillicothe doesn't carry it? I was just asking about these places for general construction merchandise and home repair. They ever have tools there? I'll have to check the one out in Lancaster or Columbus

If you're talking about 4'x8'x7/16" OSB, I can't imagine a Lowes (or HD, or any lumber yard) not carrying it. Next to 2x4's, it's one of the most common building materials in the US.

But I think any sort of Goodwill type building material store is a great idea. Having worked in construction management, it blew my mind how much "waste" got put in the dumpster. Heck, most of my 3-tier brew stand is "waste" lumber!

We have two of them in Charlotte, NC which I lived on the outskirts of. Ours sell anything that you could imagine that has been gutted out of older houses; doors windows, sinks, faucets, cabinets, appliances. But they also sell leftovers from large lots of tile, wood trim, lighting, as well as furniture, artwork, glassware(!), etc.

I bought a well-built older armoire for $250 a couple years ago. I bought some granite tile for $1 just last weekend for some end tables I'm gonna cobble up.

Its true, if you're planning a remodel, want to save some money and are flexible when it comes to planning, head to one of these. I was kicking myself for paying for the junky stainless steel sink at Lowe's when the Restore had deep cast iron farm sinks for 35 bucks. I plan on remodeling my bathroom from that place- a well-built vanity that I will clean up and paint, sink, and tile for tub surround and countertop. Its gonna cut some of my costs by half.

Goodbyebluesky, Where about in Charlotte? I live near lake Wylie. This would be intresting to look into. Is there a website? Thanks for any info.

Latest posts

Back