Gyle and Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also curious about this - anyone have luck with gyle? Bottling or kegging?

thx.

kvh

2nd Street Brewery said:
Never even heard of it. What is it?

Rather than adding sugars or DME to your fermented wort before bottling (or kegging), you re-introduce a pre-measured amount of wert that you removed from your batch before fermenting. The sugars and hop-aromas are all present in it, your yeasts eat it up and carbonate, and the only thing in your beer is your beer.

It has another name which escapes me at the moment.

kvh

kvh said:
Rather than adding sugars or DME to your fermented wort before bottling (or kegging), you re-introduce a pre-measured amount of wert that you removed from your batch before fermenting. The sugars and hop-aromas are all present in it, your yeasts eat it up and carbonate, and the only thing in your beer is your beer.

It has another name which escapes me at the moment.

kvh
Adding gyle to your beer to condition it is called kreusening...:D

It's OK, I found a chart so it is a precess that can be used when kegging. That's what I was curious about.:D

I'm positive that krausening can be done successfully when kegging. I think with some quick math regarding specific gravity, you could determine how much gyle to add when krausening. Begin with a calculation of how much of an increase in gravity is required when priming with DME.

...or just use that chart you've got...I'd like to see a copy as well.

homebrewer_99 said:

That's one of the words I was thinking of - I was also thinking of Speice, which is on the PDF.

thanks!
kvh

homebrewer_99 said:

It's OK, I found a chart so it is a precess that can be used when kegging. That's what I was curious about.:D
I thought kreusening was adding actively fermenting wort to beer for finishing or conditioning. I don't think adding raw wort is technically kreusening.
This technique is useful for AG brewers for primming beer to keep the beer pure but is there really any difference from using DME for extract brewers.
True kreusening is tricker to calculate and to time but has the advantage of adding healthy active yeast into the beer for conditioning.

Craig

Latest posts

Back