Gushers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcodville

Reaction score
Hey all, I brewed my first batch of cider recently. Just with some store bought apple juice. After all was said and done and bottled I had ideal carbonation after about 9 days so I popped them all into the fridge.

When I put them in the fridge they were carbonated nicely, about the same as a coca cola or so. Now a week later I've opened two so far and they're major gushers! I was under the impression that if you throw them in the fridge it stops the yeasties? Or does it have to be a certain temperature? It's just a standard fridge.

Thanks!

How did you determine they were carbonated nicely? At what temperature that is?

I was just testing the every couple of days until I got an ideideal carbonation. They were back sweetened with frozen apple juice concentrate and a caramel syrup. Instead of bottle pasteruzing I thought I'd put them all in my fridge.

They were carbonating in my basement about 17-18 celsius

Safale us-04. I just opened another bottle and it wasn't a gusher. I have a feeling they didn't all carbonate evenly and I probably left it a day or two too long before throwing in the fridge

Well, I've been told to chill a bottle for a couple of days before testing. I forget the exact reason, but heard the carbonation changes with time and temperature.

Safale us-04. I just opened another bottle and it wasn't a gusher. I have a feeling they didn't all carbonate evenly and I probably left it a day or two too long before throwing in the fridge

I think that's the case. When you mixed up the batch at bottling time it might not have been mixed thoroughly and some bottles are different than others. I have had one 'flat' bottle in a batch while others were carbonated correctly.

In my experience, a 40°F fridge stops S-04 in its tracks.

Back