Gusher? (Foamer?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worlddivides

Reaction score
So I made a batch of beer about two months ago and I've already drank half of the batch with friends, by myself, and with my wife. Tonight I opened one of the bottles and it foamed up like 10x more than usual. The first glass might have only had 3-4x the normal amount of head, but after I poured it, half of the bottle I poured from filled with foam.

It was taken directly out of the refrigerator just like usual and it's the first bottle in the batch for this to happen. Any ideas why? And... is this what is called a "gusher"? I mean, nothing really gushed. It just foamed up A LOT. The beer tastes the same as all the others (which had normal head).

I had a bottle from Flat 12 do that last week. It may be bad mixing or that bottle may be infected with something.

You have to take on for the team and open another one to see if it gushes

Yep, that's a gusher. It's possible that it's infected, but it might just be isolated to that one bottle, especially if none of the others so far have been gushers. If you get a few more like that I would work quickly to drink the rest of the batch. Gushers can possibly turn into bottle bombs from being too highly carbonated, and that is both messy and dangerous.

Yeah, it hissed a lot louder than normal when I opened it, indicating that it was pretty carbonated, but it didn't taste as carbonated as I thought it would from the sound.

So far, it's only been one out of 14-15 bombers so far. If it was infected, I have no idea how, considering I sanitized the hell out of all of the bottles.

Did you bottle with bulk sugar or the individual tabs?

Boiled the sugar all together.

Back