gusher bug v. overcarb v. fermentation issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjunsveltie

Reaction score
I have a cal common . First all grain & botched everything, but a good learner.. Bottled after 5 weeks and was holding steady at 1.030 for 4 days. Over primed a few grams because I wanted a bit more of a fizz.

had a bottle bomb (my first) after a hot spell. Moved bottles to a cooler place.

3 weeks after bottling they are gushers. 3/4 of the bottle and violent.

Is this a bug? Over prime? Fermentation not done...

Taste is fine.

Have been off gassing by prying the cap a little bit and it keeps on building pressure. Stick with this process or s-can it all?

Will letting it sit for longer do anything w/o off gassing? Seems that it would not.

Have you chilled these bottles for at least a few days before opening? If not, please try that.

1.030 is way to high of a gravity to be bottling....it wasn't done fermenting so too much sugar is causing your problem

You either under pitched your yeast or your temps weren't right for the common yeast or both to get it to finish.

FG for a common should be 1.011 to 1.014 per bjcp guidelines...no really way to fix the problem at this time...learn from it and brew again

Well i mashed too high, 170, so i figured lots of unfermentables in there and FG was not going to be close. Based on checking grabity, moving to a warmer spot, shaking blah blah, pretty sure ferment was done. Ill let em sit a while
Thanks

Latest posts

Back