Gumballhead with Oats and Lactose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Know

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew Gumballhead with a bigger, silky mouthfeel and a healthy touch of lactose sweetness while maintaining the beauty of those amarillo hops.

5 Gallons
5 lb - American Wheat
4.17 lb - 6-Row
.84 lb - Crystal 20L
2 lb -Oats
6 oz -Lactose

.25 oz - Amarillo - First Wort Hop
.25 oz - Amarillo - 60 min.
.5 oz - Amarillo - 15 min.
1.25 oz - Amarillo - 5 min.
1 oz - Amarillo - 1 min.
1.5 oz - Amarillo - Dry Hop

Yeast - Wyeast 1056

Mash 153F 60min

What do you think? Is that enough or too much lactose to get the sweetness I'm looking for? Is that enough oats to get the big, smooth mouthfeel I'm looking for? Should I add more hop additions to compensate?

Edit: Added 1# of Flaked oats to make 2# total

I think that recipe looks real good as-is. For the biggest silkiest mouthfeel, use rye instead of oats or in addition to oats. Rye has the biggest contribution to body and head retention of any grain known to mankind.

Thanks Dave, but I believe flaked rye would impart that sharp spicy grainy rye taste which I don't want in this particular batch, so I plan to stick with oats.

Does one pound seem enough to get a full mouthfeel? Anyone have experience with two pounds or a late addition?

I'm wanting this beer to be on the dry side but with a big mouth and a small burst of lactose sweetness (I'm not a fan of syrupy beers).

Latest posts

Back