Guinness, yechhhhhh!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pick

Reaction score
Wife bought some for dinner tonight. I thought the stuff tasted absolutely repulsive.:mad: My homebrew and BMC taste much better than that stuff.

BMC tastes much better? Please....

Suit yourself but try a well-poured pint on tap before you write it off.

:rockin:My Irish Stout is Good. After 6 (as today) it's Great......:rockin:

I still love Guinness:mug::rockin:

I'm all about pride in my brew but come on I can't top Guinness well at least not yet. I need Nitrogen in order to do it right.

Drink BMC all the BMC you want! I'd rather have the Guiness! Not my favorite beer in the world, but definately a classic and a great example of a Dry Stout.

Wife bought some for dinner tonight. I thought the stuff tasted absolutely repulsive.:mad: My homebrew and BMC taste much better than that stuff.

This statement is just WRONG!! on so many levels. I understand that not everyone is a stout fan, IIPA fan...etc, but Guinness is hardly swill.

Guinness is less "stout" than Budweiser.

Guinness abv 4.0 cal 123
Bud abv.4.3 cal 143

Well, maybe I should have left the BMC part out. The Guinness tasted real "chemically". Kind of like paint thinner smells. Maybe we got a bad batch?

I'm not a huge fan of Guinness. I had some Guinness 250 that was rock solid though. I think it gets too much hype. Surely it is better than any BMC.

Guinness is less "stout" than Budweiser.

Guinness abv 4.0 cal 123
Bud abv.4.3 cal 143

BJCP guidelines for a dry stout:

Aroma: Coffee-like roasted barley and roasted malt aromas are prominent; may have slight chocolate, cocoa and/or grainy secondary notes. Esters medium-low to none. No diacetyl. Hop aroma low to none.

Appearance: Jet black to deep brown with garnet highlights in color. Can be opaque (if not, it should be clear). A thick, creamy, long-lasting, tan- to brown-colored head is characteristic.

Flavor: Moderate roasted, grainy sharpness, optionally with light to moderate acidic sourness, and medium to high hop bitterness. Dry, coffee-like finish from roasted grains. May have a bittersweet or unsweetened chocolate character in the palate, lasting into the finish. Balancing factors may include some creaminess, medium-low to no fruitiness, and medium to no hop flavor. No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium-full body, with a creamy character. Low to moderate carbonation. For the high hop bitterness and significant proportion of dark grains present, this beer is remarkably smooth. The perception of body can be affected by the overall gravity with smaller beers being lighter in body. May have a light astringency from the roasted grains, although harshness is undesirable.

Overall Impression: A very dark, roasty, bitter, creamy ale.

Comments: This is the draught version of what is otherwise known as Irish stout or Irish dry stout. Bottled versions are typically brewed from a significantly higher OG and may be designated as foreign extra stouts (if sufficiently strong). While most commercial versions rely primarily on roasted barley as the dark grain, others use chocolate malt, black malt or combinations of the three. The level of bitterness is somewhat variable, as is the roasted character and the dryness of the finish; allow for interpretation by brewers.

History: The style evolved from attempts to capitalize on the success of London porters, but originally reflected a fuller, creamier, more “stout” body and strength. When a brewery offered a stout and a porter, the stout was always the stronger beer (it was originally called a “Stout Porter”). Modern versions are brewed from a lower OG and no longer reflect a higher strength than porters.

Ingredients: The dryness comes from the use of roasted unmalted barley in addition to pale malt, moderate to high hop bitterness, and good attenuation. Flaked unmalted barley may also be used to add creaminess. A small percentage (perhaps 3%) of soured beer is sometimes added for complexity (generally by Guinness only). Water typically has moderate carbonate hardness, although high levels will not give the classic dry finish.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.036 – 1.050
IBUs: 30 – 45 FG: 1.007 – 1.011
SRM: 25 – 40 ABV: 4 – 5%

Commercial Examples: Guinness Draught Stout (also canned), Murphy's Stout, Beamish Stout, O’Hara’s Celtic Stout, Russian River O.V.L. Stout, Three Floyd’s Black Sun Stout, Dorothy Goodbody’s Wholesome Stout, Orkney Dragonhead Stout, Old Dominion Stout, Goose Island Dublin Stout, Brooklyn Dry Stout

Well, maybe I should have left the BMC part out. The Guinness tasted real "chemically". Kind of like paint thinner smells. Maybe we got a bad batch?

Hey, I like a good BMC myself, and am not too much a snob to admit it, but Guinness is just fine. A nice drop if I may say so any day of the week.

Perhaps you did just get a bad bottle or batch.

Hmmm I never get a chemical taste in Guinness. It has slight sourness to it and sometimes I get a metalic taste in it but it is my fav commercial beer. I myself cant name many beers I have bought or made that kept me comming back like Guinness.

Like paint thinner? Yeah, I'd say you got a bad batch. It's a pretty good standard, a bit thinner than you'd expect but with good flavor and aroma.

Did you have it on tap or in the bottle/can? Bottle/can is quite undrinkable....but properly poured from the tap... Nectar of the Gods....

I don't really care for Guinness either. It doesn't taste bad to me, it just doesn't really TASTE to me. Kinda like if you took a good stout and seriously watered it down. Not a bad taste, just not much there at all.

I have had Guinness Extra Stout that has been bad and not very drinkable. I have not had any on tap or the widget bottles/cans that tasted bad.

Sorry you did not like it. I love me some Guinness.

I don't really care for Guinness either. It doesn't taste bad to me, it just doesn't really TASTE to me. Kinda like if you took a good stout and seriously watered it down. Not a bad taste, just not much there at all.

I second this

I understand this reaction to grocery store black lable 3.2 Guinness. But not to the yellow lable Guinness Extra Stout.

But I can't stant most IPAs.

To each his own.

What temp did you have it at, I went to this one "ye old english" pub and got me a Guinness and it was so cold I think I got frostbite from it. Didn't really taste like much let alone a nice Guinness, had to leave it for a while before taking another sip!

Personally I think Guinness Draught is wonderful. To not like it is somehow just wrong. It's easy drinkin', creamy, and tasty.

It's my favorite light beer by far :)

I love good stout. On my opinion, Guiness in the US is not good. It's watery and tasteless and overly drank by people who THINK the like good beer. Ia bar accessory like an Abercrombie belt.

Guiness in the US is not good. It's watery and tasteless and overly drank by people who THINK the like good beer

I don't buy that...The Guinness in the U.S. is brewed in Dublin. Just like the stuff for Ireland...

From their website:

GUINNESS® is GUINNESS® - wherever you are. We always use pure, fresh water from natural local sources for the GUINNESS® stout brewed outside Ireland. That said, in blind tests (with a bunch of highly cynical journalists) none of our sample could tell the difference between Irish-brewed GUINNESS® and the locally produced variety. All the GUINNESS® sold in the UK, Ireland and North America is brewed in Ireland at the historic St. James's Gate Brewery in Dublin.

Now if you have it on draught at a bar that has very low turnover, it may be 'old', but that is another story.

I got mine at a grocery store that I know has good beer turnover on things like Guinness. It was the regular Gunness Draught in the bottles with the widget. Maybe I should give the Extra Stout a try and see if it doesn't taste as watery and weak.

Perhaps. But I also like Chimay, but have never been to Belgium :)

I've been to Belgium, drank more than my share of Chimay. I think it does taste different, but only because I got it on draft in Belgium and have only had it in bottles here. Different story with Guiness--I've had it in London (it's a city on the big island just to the east of Ireland) and it tasted the same.

I've never had Guiness in a can--just seems wrong, like putting mayo on an Italian hoagie.

i enjoy Guinness... just too thin for my liking and lacks flavor. I love robust roasty stouts... MMMMM

Guineas Extra Stout is quite different from draught, but I like them both. Just don't expect the same thing. A bit more kick in the Extra!

Eh, this has been beaten to death a million times, but in my humble opinion there is nothing wrong with drinking Guinness. It may be the bottled water of the dry stout world but at least its not some pissy crap like Bud. Now if we were talking about a real Irish stout like BEAMISH... :p

I got mine at a grocery store that I know has good beer turnover on things like Guinness. It was the regular Gunness Draught in the bottles with the widget. Maybe I should give the Extra Stout a try and see if it doesn't taste as watery and weak.

Try the Extra Stout. It's about 5% vs. the 4.2ish% Draught (or around here 3.2%). It you still don't like it, then your not a Guinness man.

Latest posts

Back