Guinness Nitro IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alcholfurbrains

Reaction score
Just bought a 6 of Guinness Nitro IPA,what a disappointment. I've through out beer that was better than this. It's got a ton of tannin flavor almost like tea and no hops what's so ever for a 44 IBU can't believe you can screw up an IPA that bad and Louis Ortega's name and signature are on the can. Big disappointment!!!!!

We just had a thread on this 2 weeks ago, and the sentiment was that it did not come close to an IPA. More like a nitro Black-and-tan. Big miss by Guinness, trying to capitalize on the IPA name, but totally missing the mark.

Yeah the plastic ball gives the beer the nitro cascading head effect. I also found this beer to be a huge let down. I drank one and now need to find five friends to pass one off to a piece. Anyone got any spare unsuspecting friends?

By the way what is the plastic ball in the can do?

As I understand it:

The plastic ball has a tiny hole in it. Under pressure, the inside and outside of the ball are at the same high pressure. Once you open the can, the inside of the ball is briefly at a much higher pressure than the rest of the can which equalizes instantly with atmospheric pressure. This pressure forces beer out of the ball through the tiny hole which agitates it and sets off a chain reaction of foam.

For such a simple thing, it does work surprisingly well.

Sucks about the beer though...

I guess I will buck the trend here.

I think the Nitro IPA is quite good, and the nitro gives it a quality that reminded me of a hand pulled ale.

Then again, I enjoy English beers and tend to dislike many of the over hopped american ipas that are on the market these days.

Guinness has a recent history of releasing crap gimmicky beers. Their two recent porters are ok, or at least the west indies one is but FES and SES are still their best two beers by quite a bit

Thanks for posting this up. I was going to pick up some this weekend and now I am not!

frown in a can... I got it during a bogo sale and gave them away after trying to finish two. Strong green tea flavor not remotely an ipa.

Terrible...brought some back to Canada last time I was in Michigan....also had a hard time finding 5 friends to get rid of them. Should have brought back some better local Michigan IPAs with me instead :(

Back