Guinness Foreign Extra Stout!! Wow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't tried this yet, but will as soon as I can find it - no luck so far. There is a clone recipe in the BYO 250 clone recipe magazine, but it is ridiculously complicated, involving 2 separate mashes and three separate fermentations (one with Brett for 2 or 3 months) and combining everything at the end.

Sams Beverages (Marsh and Trinity Mills) had this a month or so ago....give them a call and see if they still have it.

As far as I know, that makes three different types of Guinness stout available in the US:
Guinness Draught
Guinness Extra Stout
Guinness Foreign Extra Stout

Is that correct?

There is also Guinness 250th Anniversary Stout. I'm personally not a fan, but the foreign extra is one of my favs. I had my first (and 50th) in London when I was sent there for work. They were sold as singles and cost about $2.30 a bottle after conversion. It was one of the cheapest beers in that store!!!

Just to add to the confusion. (I'm from Dublin. I know my guinness!). There's two types of Foreign Extra Stout.

The original one is actually brewed in the Guinness Factory in Nigeria, and contains sorghum in place of some of the barley.

Only in the last 10 years or so, have they started brewing it in Dublin, where they use 100% barley. This is probably the one they sell in the states. It's much better in my opinion.
You can sometimes find the Nigerian one in African Food Stores.

man i was hoping I'd be the one to drop this info! I was in dublin at the guinness brewery in June, the guy told me that 'all' of Guinness is made in dublin except the foreign extra stout, made in nigeria. he said nothing about the 10 years ago part.. he made it sound like that is how it currently is.

anyway I brought back two bottles, they've been in my fridge every since. I didn't realize they weren't even available here, and surely didn't realize they'd have people going nuts over it. I didn't care for it too much, however, the only one I had, I was in dublin, I had been pub hoping all day (awesome honeymoon!), and it was the last beer I had at the end of the night in the hotel room.. I couldn't even finish it.

Perhaps I should try it again, but make it first in line.

I was so happy they started selling this in the US. I've been drinking this every year when we go to Jamaica and now can buy it here.

In Jamaica the locals drink it unchilled, you actually order it as "Guiness hot" otherwise they will pull it out of the cooler where the Red Stripes are stored at about 40 degrees so on the beach this is served at about 90 degrees LOL

now if only Dragon stout would be sold here again, a great milk stout from Jamaica...

If you're interested, I have BOTH the clone brews and byo recipes for Dragon in my Lion's Stout thread.

I was consulting with the author of the byo Dragon Clone on my beer.

:mug:

thanks, I already brew a clone of Dragon stout. I forgot where the recipe came from, probably from BYO but I also have Beer Captured by the same authors of Clonebrews here- in fact I've brought back the real thing for A/B comparisons and we couldn't taste the difference. I just wish I could buy it at retail when I don't have any on hand.

<note to self, time to brew DS again>

Just had another FES with my brother last night sandwiched between a couple of my Breakfast stouts (Chocolate Coffee Oatmeal). Gotta say, the Breakfast was winning the show but that Guinness is still mighty fine. It's so......roasty!

Gotta start working on a recipe soon. Anybody figure this one out?

Back