Guinness Faucet Score

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
A local Home Brewer recently divested himself of all of his equipment. I picked up his Guinness faucet & a bottle of BeerGas. Time to brew a nice Guinness clone.

GuinnessFaucet.jpg

Thats one of the older ones that Brewpastor was talking about a while back. I guess the knob gives you adjustable restriction out of the restrictor plate instead of a pre-set restriction that the newer ones have.

Awesome score man!

TheFlyingBeer said:
Nice grab, get it for free? If not how much?

I got it for fiddy bucks. I had a stout from it before I bought it. Just like in the pub. A pretty site pouring Guinness.

clayof2day said:
Thats one of the older ones that Brewpastor was talking about a while back. I guess the knob gives you adjustable restriction out of the restrictor plate instead of a pre-set restriction that the newer ones have.

Awesome score man!

Thanks. I've tried researching it online but all the ones I've seen do not have the adjustable restriction.

Time to build a new kegerator. Perhaps out of a Sanyo 4912 with a two faucet tower. One for Guinness Stout and the other for a Bass Ale Clone.

Yeah, the black & tan kegerator. :rockin:

Ryan_PA said:
Yeah man, I have the same one. the ability to adjust makes it freaking priceless.

If you want a suggestion, here is a link to my house dry stout. It is not a Guinness Clone, per say, but a damn fine example of the style IMO:

http://s119331560.onlinehome.us/Brewing/House_Stout_2.html

How do you use yours? I'm a noob when it comes to stouts on tap. I know you have to have BeerGas and the dispensing pressure is like 35-38 psi, but that's about all I know. The other good thing is he tossed in a corny of his Guinness Clone, aged & ready to tap. I may have to drill a hole in my Haier kegerator to get the BeerGas line in.

Thanks for the recipe. I'll give it a try.

Great score Ed. Too bad I'm not even close to Texas or I'd come over for a pint or three. :D And some apfelwein...

I went around the block figuring out how to pour from a stout faucet. How I've got mine currently configured is I put the keg on co2 for a few days at 9 psi, then I switch to beer gas at 30 psi to dispense and I leave it on that. My beer gas is 70/30 N2/Co2 so... if my understanding is correct, that 30% co2 at 30 psi is like straight co2 at 9 psi. Either way, you really gotta watch the carbonation. Too much and it'll be a foam monster, too little and it's kind of thin.

EdWort said:
How do you use yours? I'm a noob when it comes to stouts on tap. I know you have to have BeerGas and the dispensing pressure is like 35-38 psi, but that's about all I know. The other good thing is he tossed in a corny of his Guinness Clone, aged & ready to tap. I may have to drill a hole in my Haier kegerator to get the BeerGas line in.

Thanks for the recipe. I'll give it a try.

I do not use the beer/gas mix currently. Just co2. The only noticable difference to me is the head is not quite as creamy, and the beer may come accross a little more harsh (but not in a bad way). The nitro mix has much more compact and hard bubble that seem to come out of solution quicker and more easy. With my current co2 rig, the beer is great and most people do not noice a difference. The ability to adjust the flow gives you the ability to dial in the right pour.

That stout recipe is one of my personal favorite beers I have ever made. i hope you enjoy it too.

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
OK now to hunt down a cheap used stout faucet. You think the local bar would notice me with a faucet wrench in my hand..(and beer spraying everywhere once the faucet was off...) LOL

I was thinking along these lines but in my case it was "Wonder if the response to the bar's security system will be fast enough to catch me drunkenly dismantling a faucet a 4am??"

I think it will be safer to just lurk around craigslist or ebay for a while, I don't need a criminal record... yet.

If it wasn't for the spraying beer................ ;)

That and I'd probably trip on a flea (or something else as ludicrous), sending the faucet right into the hands of the very large, mean, bouncer.

That's why you mention how much you could reeeealy use one of those to some really drunk friend/aquantince/random drunk guy..... :D

I got mine off of ebay, but I did look for a very long time. I actually was about to give up and just go the route of the new style with the entire beer/gas setup, but by chance one showed up... actually 2 came up the day I put the bid in on mine.

They are hard to some by, much like hot chicks that like me.

I've been haunting ebay for a while looking for one of these, and then decided to just search google and see what I can find.

Turns out one of my LHBS seems to carry one. Can anyone confirm whether or not the 'variable flow' version of the stout faucets (halfway down the page) are actually adjustable?

http://www.annapolishomebrew.com/shopdraft.asp

thx.

kvh

I got one of these variable flow guinness faucets from ebay a while ago, but it doesn't fit on any of my shanks. Any thoughts?

Back