Guiness Antwerpen Bottle Yeast Harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sky4meplease

Reaction score
Has anyone harvested this yeast or know if the beer is bottle conditioned and if so with what?

The first bottle had quite the sediment. I am ready to try and harvest from another but thought I would ask around.

Beer

Has anyone harvested this yeast or know if the beer is bottle conditioned and if so with what?

The first bottle had quite the sediment. I am ready to try and harvest from another but thought I would ask around.

Beer
I would be interested in a clone recipe if someone had it, that stuff is delicious.

According to some people who write about Guinness, all Guinness products are nowadays filtered and pasteurized. Thus, you'll probably waste your time trying to culture the dregs.

WLP004 / Wyeast 1084 is likely from Guinness if you aim to brew something similar.
"This yeast is from one of the oldest stout-producing breweries in the world." -White labs

Last edited:
According to some people who write about Guinness, all Guinness products are nowadays filtered and pasteurized. Thus, you'll probably waste your time trying to culture the dregs.

WLP004 / Wyeast 1084 is likely from Guinness if you aim to brew something similar.
"This yeast is from one of the oldest stout-producing breweries in the world." -White labs

The last bottle was not filtered at least not very well. Pasteurized would make sense. I will give it a try and see what happens. Thank you for the reply.

I can throw a sample under the microscope also to see what was in the sediment at the bottom.

Yep, but sediment is something that may form either before or after filtration. If you go for it, please keep us posted what you find.

I believe all their products are pasteurized. I tried to harvest the yeast from their Wheat beer, without any luck. I usually have pretty good success when the yeast is viable.

I think they use the same yeast for all their products, and just change the fermentation temp to get different flavors.

Give it a go, and let us know. If it works, I'll try again; I have 30 bottles of the Antwerpen Stout in my garage.

A sample viewed under a microscope leads me to believe that it was filtered as what was left is pretty small outside of a few cells.
I have some sitting in fresh wort now so we will see what happens I will let you know.

Back