Guide to getting empty bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emclinux

Reaction score
I recently upped my batch from 1 gallon to 5 gallons and found myself needing badly empty bottles. The LHBS sells them for $9 for 18 so it's not bad price but I wanted to keep SWMBO calm with the outgoing cost because I already spent $70 to get this just in the fermenter. So here is a few things I did to get me from 12 bottles to 50+

1. Drink some craft beer. I drink a 6 pack in about a week so to get me from 12 to 50 it would take me a few weeks to collect enough.

2. I work in a beer friendly environment (I.e. We drink beer at our desks all the time and have 2kegs in the break room) so I told my coworkers that I have 5 gallons of Scottish Ale ready but just need bottles and have gotten about 15 from that. Ask around for bottles and promise a taste testing.

3. About this time in your beer journey you have probably identified and visited pubs that sell craft beer and is known around town as the craft beer center. I have found that if you walk in before or after the mid-day Rush (at open or after 1:30) and sit down, order a craft beer, and tell them your a homebrewer and you need empty bottles most times of they are allowed they will save them for you. But if you do this be reliable, tell them you will pick them up when they open ( so they don't have to keep walking around your bottles) and actually pick them up. Don't make them sort them for you, they are hopefully busy enough handling customers to sort the bottles so get what they give you and recycle the twist off bud and millers. I have found traditional pubs are better for this than the brewpubs because the traditional pubs just toss or recycle the glass

4. If you are in an area that mandates recycling of glass for pubs and the like or if you have a local recycling plant ask them. They may change you but it's usually not more that 10 cents a bottle or 50 for $5. I have seen some offer fliptops for $1 a bottle just for homebrewers.

This is what I have based on experience and will add more as I find better methods. If you have some of your own methods please share

Brad

I knew before I started brewing that I was going to make the plunge soon, so I started collecting bottles a few months beforehand. I collected from my own consumption as well as from friends and family who drank craft beer. In MI there is a $0.10 deposit on bottles, so it can be hard to get someone to part with their empties. I have a friend who lives in Chicago, and in IL there is no deposit so they throw their empties away..so I had him save me his and bring them up to me when he visited

My LHBS sells cases of 24 for about $12, which isn't bad considering that's about half a batches worth.

I've only bought 1 case from my LHBS in the past, and the rest I've collected. By now, I have cases of empties..which reminds me..I need to brew again soon!

My LHBS sells cases of 24 for about $12, which isn't bad considering that's about half a batches worth.

I've only bought 1 case from my LHBS in the past, and the rest I've collected. By now, I have cases of empties..which reminds me..I need to brew again soon!

About the same as me. New bottles at about 50 cents a piece. And to add on what you said. Some of the people reading this will be like me and got he Brooklyn brew kit for Xmas. If you purchase anything for it get the size you need for a full 5 gal batch. So when you do move to 5 gallons you will have the equipment you need (example brew pot/racking cane ect. ). Also get a few airlock and a real bung for that kit. Broke the plastic one on me third brew.

I would go with 22 oz bottles if you can. Makes bottling easier since you need only about 30 at bottling time, thicker glass- my one exploded bottle was a 12 ouncer, and you can easily collect many by going to the store and getting several beers from the beer section to sample for R&D purposes.

1. Buy beer.
2. Drink beer.
3. Rinse bottle.
4. Forget to delabel bottles until bottling day, curse the day you ever decided that brewing beer would be fun and rewarding.
5. Try to talk your wife into a keezer.
6. Stop worrying about labels so much.

^This!!! :ban:

1. Buy beer.
2. Drink beer.
3. Rinse bottle.
4. Forget to delabel bottles until bottling day, curse the day you ever decided that brewing beer would be fun and rewarding.
5. Try to talk your wife into a keezer.
6. Stop worrying about labels so much.

Hehe yep that may work. I pour the beer from the bottles to a glass, fill the bottle with water and drop it in oxyclean. After an hour no more labels and glue.

(Sorry about any gammer Im on my 4th trip to the keg. Its been a day :) )

Hehe yep that may work. I pour the beer from the bottles to a glass, fill the bottle with water and drop it in oxyclean. After an hour no more labels and glue.

(Sorry about any gammer Im on my 4th trip to the keg. Its been a day :) )

EFF you and your work keg. Just saying. No hate though.

T minus 2 weeks until a trade show, where I buy the booze, and am solely responsible for the selection, and can acceptably start drinking at 7 AM, but I usually wait until 4 or 5.

EFF you and your work keg. Just saying. No hate though.

T minus 2 weeks until a trade show, where I buy the booze, and am solely responsible for the selection, and can acceptably start drinking at 7 AM, but I usually wait until 4 or 5.

That's really responsible waiting till 7:04 or 7:05. Let all the alchy's get started at the crack of 7.

Yea it may sound like a work and drink all the time but usually it's not that way. We are all adults around here and know if we take advantage of it it's gone so usually one 16oz or two on Friday is the game.

Hehe. You live in San Diego, Indianapolis, London or Paris?

I live in Indy. I bet I could guess the company you work for (HP or ExactTarget possibly?) Only reason I say this is because my buddie's wife works there (name has changed a few times) and they have local beer on draft at work in break room with refillable plastic cups (fill from the bottom)

Do what I did, give your beer out to neighbors and anyone that will listen in the neighborhood. They return all my bottles and leave me new commercial ones. I come home once or twice a week to find some empty 6 packs sitting on my porch

I would go with 22 oz bottles if you can. Makes bottling easier since you need only about 30 at bottling time, thicker glass- my one exploded bottle was a 12 ouncer, and you can easily collect many by going to the store and getting several beers from the beer section to sample for R&D purposes.

That is very true, Both my meijers and 21'st amendment sell individual bottles. Allowing you to try other beer styles.

I just went into a party store. There's a deposit in Michigan, so they have to take back empties. I told the guy I was a homebrewer and offered to buy bottles from him for 10 cents apiece. 50 bottles for $5, not too shabby. A day soaking in Oxiclean, a good rinse, done. Plus I also poach them from friends. Doing it this way, you quickly learn which companies have labels that come off easily.

That is very true, Both my meijers and 21'st amendment sell individual bottles. Allowing you to try other beer styles.

That's the ticket. Go out and build 6 packs. The best way to try new brews and styles, and end up with reusable bottles!

Do what I did, give your beer out to neighbors and anyone that will listen in the neighborhood. They return all my bottles and leave me new commercial ones. I come home once or twice a week to find some empty 6 packs sitting on my porch

Excellent approach.

I let friends, family, and co-workers know I'm a home brewer and that I'm bottle hungry. Over they years they've given me all kinds of bottles. Sometimes they are giving me bottles in hopes for more beer, and sometimes they are giving botttles with the promise I never offer them my home brew again.:D

Check CraigsList. Should be plenty of free bottles or very cheap cases. Not to mention raiding your neighbors recycle bins on trash night. Just beware of the fuzzy living cigarette butts that are growing in the bottom of many a bottle.

^This, I've goten bottles on ym step that were clearly stored in like a garage or laundry room along with a dog. Hairs all stuck to them and mold growing in the bottom. blech, grosses me out just thinking about it. Tossed them immediately

Stumbled onto two boxes of 22ozs recently from Craigslist. Not as good as free, but can't complain. Less than half the cost as new and from a home brewer who was moving, so they were clean.

It's also an excuse to pick up some different 22's from the store. Unfortunately, the price on those can be ridiculous. So often I don't end up getting new beer after all, because it's hard to beat the price for a New Belgium Ranger.

I've built up a healthy supply of empties over the years, buying good beer/sampling/research/what have you, been concentrating on meads these last few years - my college grad daughter loves my meads, and has her fiance save all his "good" bottles for me, so....inventory goes up slowly but surely. Although, atm, I have approx 31 gallons of mead that can be bottled....or not...dunno if I have THAT many empties. but...the heavy duty meads are quite content to bulk age in their big glass :)

Latest posts

Back