Guesses on what’s in the must?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jchamb

Reaction score
Attempting my first ever mead! I pitched this one gallon of classic mead 3 days ago and is bubbling quite nicely. I did notice some dark specs sitting in the sides and top, however. I’m wondering if the raw honey I bought locally might have some impurities or specs, or might it be straight contaminated? Have you seen something like this before?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Welcome to the mead world! It might take longer to make than other booze, but it sure is delicious.

If all you put in there was basically honey, water, and yeast - it's might be "honey impurities." This could be anything from dirt, pollen, beeswax, bee parts, or debris from the honeycomb. Otherwise, I guess it could be something that was left in the bottle before you used it? Keep an eye on it, and see if the black particulates multiply. If they do, it's not just some kind of debris.

Thanks! Mead takes longer but the few times I’ve tried it I’ve loved it. Got it. If it multiplies I could skim the surface and save it right? (Please say yes😳)

" If it multiplies I could skim the surface and save it right? (Please say yes😳) "

If indeed impurities from the honey (Kind of looks like it) then I would just leave it alone and let it settle out with your lees and take care of it when you clarify and or rack. Address it then.

Back