Guayusa Gruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody try this? I find guayusa has a very smooth, mellow bitterness at an ounce or less per gallon (steeped for 10 minutes.) Plus you’d get caffeinated beer. And the antioxidants might be good in there too.

I’m trying to figure out what to pair it with. I’ve tried sweet gale and yarrow in other gruits, and I’m not a fan.

Last edited:
Alex, if you like the bitterness of the Guayusa then for additions you can use anything flavorful. Depends if you want to go spicy, floral or eathy. Gentian may be a good earthy option, for spices I lean toward coriander, and a little rosemary, the floral would be elder flower or lavender for me. I have done a few gruits and not sure I'm a fan. I do like wormwood and lavender though. Good luck. :mug:

Alex, if you like the bitterness of the Guayusa then for additions you can use anything flavorful. Depends if you want to go spicy, floral or eathy. Gentian may be a good earthy option, for spices I lean toward coriander, and a little rosemary, the floral would be elder flower or lavender for me. I have done a few gruits and not sure I'm a fan. I do like wormwood and lavender though. Good luck. :mug:
I probably want to go spicy and/or floral. Coriander hits both of those, arguably, and it's a sort-of-standard beer ingredient, too. I will look into picking up some elderflower; I've never had it before. Lavender ... I had a Bad Experience, overdoing lavender on a saison. I might still be recovering from it.

I've been thinking Szechuan peppercorns and sweet orange peel, plus the guayusa. Does that seem too weird?

That does sound interesting, but the numbing of the Szechuan peppers may be disconcerting for some.
I personally find chile-pepper beers to be disconcerting (who wants to drink something that burns going down?) This would be better? (And kind of interesting?)

Anyhow, I really like Szechuan peppercorns. And they're from a completely different continent than the guayusa, so (maybe) it's never been done before. ("Never been done before" is of course a good reason to do something.)

Back