Gruit Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chip82

Reaction score
My wife we just found out is intolerant to hops. I want to make a gruit for her, but information is scattered at best. I am wanting to do a hefeweiss style gruit. I am wanting to use yarrow, sage and camomile. I do not know what proportions to use for a 5 gallon batch.

Here is my grain bill:
5 Gal
5# white wheat
5# Pilsen
0.5# Munich

Thanks in advanced.

Yeah, that's the battle with gruit. I've made a couple, the first one was great, the second one ended up being very sour. I've never used Chamomile, but Yarrow and Sage work well.

Assuming your yarrow and sage is dry:

1-2 ounces yarrow @ 60 minutes (or 45)
Probably a little less sage... .5 oz or so @ 60 minutes (or 45)

If you desire, toss in another half ounce or so of each @ 5 minutes until the end of the boil or at flameout.

Sorry that I can't give much better advice, but this is an alright starting point I think. You're going to have to find out your own preferences with the herbs that you're getting and such. Sanitize well and be ready for the very different, but great taste.

I have done a couple of Gruits using Marsh Rosemary, Sweet Gale, and Yarrow.

I think one issue will be that herbs may not give a "clean" bitterness like hops with a 60 minute boil.

Too much Yarrow will give your beer the flavor of lemonade.

Latest posts

Back