Gruit experiment of 2 litres

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mumathomebrew

Reaction score
Another mini mash experiment. My friend and I were discussing making some trials of historical beers because yarrow grows freely around here, as does mugwort. She arrived today bearing both herbs so this beer jumped the queue of intended learning beers.

I don't have many ingredients yet but tried to make a slightly darker beer with what we had, to emulate a 'small' beer. I reckoned the ancients wouldn't have corn or rice yet and we didn't have any wheat, so used the oats in the kitchen cupboard. I based it loosely on the proportions that had just worked in the cream of three crops recently made.

I tried a bain marie style double pan to attempt not to lose heat during the mash. It sort of worked but did lose about 10*c over the hour and a half mash. I'll get better at this bit.

We used 2 litres of water plus another litre for sparging. A 60 min boil.

272g Maris otter
91g of porridge oats
20g crystal
3g choc malt

2g Mugwort @30'
4g Yarrow leaves @30'
4g Yarrow flowers @5'

S04 english ale yeast

After the sparge the SG was 1.030 before boiling. After the boil the SG was 1.047 but could probably boil it harder next time at the beginning to raise that if needs be.

The liquid made nearly 2 litres in a water bottle so it will probably overflow if the ferment is fast. The wort was nicely clear in the pan with nice lumping going on but it got muddied again when I squeezed the rag filter. Hmmm. The taste was gentle and didn't seem very bitter. It tasted more like a floral malted milk drink. Quite pleasant and aromatic so hopefully will result in something nice... maybe.

Loads of fun to be had with gruits by the looks of it. Right up my alley of interest.

Has anyone else had a very pleasing result with it and be prepared to share their recipe?

Back