growler considered an open container?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njale

Reaction score
Generally, is a growler considered an "open container" while driving? Even if its in the trunk. I know it probably varies state to state

No idea but my common sense tells me that if it's clean and empty it would be ok. If it's full and your on the way home, I can't see getting a ticket for it. Since it's full, you haven't been drinking from it.

It depends on if the growler was sealed when bottled, or if you broke that seal. I know our state (FL) requires vendors to seal all of their growlers before you're allowed to leave a filling station. That way, there's no ambiguity if you get pulled over that the growler is indeed sealed and untouched. Otherwise, yeah it's an open container even if the lid is screwed on tight.

It depends on if the growler was sealed when bottled, or if you broke that seal. I know our state (FL) requires vendors to seal all of their growlers before you're allowed to leave a filling station. That way, there's no ambiguity if you get pulled over that the growler is indeed sealed and untouched. Otherwise, yeah it's an open container even if the lid is screwed on tight.

Wisconsin too. They put a tape-like seal over the top, so it's not an open container.

yeah i always assumed if it was full you would get away with it, unless you over the legal limit, than they would throw that on also.

if you bring a growler to a party or homebrew meeting and it only gets 1/2 drank,i assume taking the other 1/2 back home would be considered open container

NJ doesnt put any tape or seal on them, that i know of

so in FL, transporting a full growler of your homebrew is always open container?

if you bring a growler to a party or homebrew meeting and it only gets 1/2 drank,i assume taking the other 1/2 back home would be considered open container

Yep. Unless, of course, you seal it again. Most of our breweries use a shrink wrap collar on the neck of our bottles and a hair dryer to seal them but I know a few that just use electrical tape. Carry your own electrical tape and seal that sucker up when you leave.

That, or just don't... you know.... drink and drive.

no seal or shrink wrap in PA.

unfortunately, I'm certain it depends on the cop's mood....just like every other situation, include completely legal things. Point is, do your best to make it look like you care by stowing the beer in a cardboard box, or bag or cooler, placed in the trunk or back seat.

Back