Growing yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waynemil

Reaction score
Hello,
I have been reading the forums on growing/washing yeast. I think I understand most of the procedures but have a few questions.

1) Instead of making starters for each batch, I would prefer to propoagate the yeast. If I pitch a vial of yeast into a flask to make a liter starter and the yeast doubles, then I have double the yeast. I pour off the wort and am left with the new yeast. Question-- How many times can I grow and double this yeast without issues?

2)where can I buy glycerin to mix with the yeast and water for freezer storage?

Thanks in advance for any advice or information. If this has already been discussed somewhere please just point me to the thread.

Thanks--

1. You can propagate yeast as many times as you like (10-12 generations is not uncommon) if you're very sanitary and your growing conditions are good. The more stress the yeast experience, the more likely they are to deviate from their original strain. At the same time, some people prefer yeast that has undergone an actual beer fermentation or two - many believe that yeast really hits its stride around the 3rd repitch. This may or may not involve rebuilding a harvest with a new starter, but I can think of one very pragmatic brewer who just harvests slurry into clean jars and pitches from those directly into the next batch. Obviously, storage is your other concern, which leads to . . .

2. Glycerin can be purchased at just about any store. CVS, Walgreens, Hobby Lobby, Safeway, etc.

Thanks for the information!

1. You can propagate yeast as many times as you like (10-12 generations is not uncommon) if you're very sanitary and your growing conditions are good. The more stress the yeast experience, the more likely they are to deviate from their original strain. At the same time, some people prefer yeast that has undergone an actual beer fermentation or two - many believe that yeast really hits its stride around the 3rd repitch. This may or may not involve rebuilding a harvest with a new starter, but I can think of one very pragmatic brewer who just harvests slurry into clean jars and pitches from those directly into the next batch. Obviously, storage is your other concern, which leads to . . .

2. Glycerin can be purchased at just about any store. CVS, Walgreens, Hobby Lobby, Safeway, etc.

Back