Growing patterns by location?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DasSchlebach

Reaction score
I'm curious to find out if growing hops in certain areas of the country produce different results, most of the threads I've read are brewers based in the mid-west or east coast, where I happen to be in the heart of Southern California.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a proper set up? We tend to get pretty warm weather year round and come spring/summertime it can be in the constant high 80's-90's. I know the vines need sun but is it possible for them to "burn out"?

Hop vines can be burned out, but generally this happens in very hot weather. Considering most USA commercial hops are grown in Washington and Oregon, with their 16 hours summer days. Keep them watered and if you have temperatures over 105F when the plants are young, consider shading them.

Your biggest problem will be the Santa Ann's. Hot, dry wind can turn your crop into toast in a day. Even had that happen up here a few years ago.

My hops in socal have done very well. I often water once a day, though, through the heat of summer, especially if there's Santa Ana winds. Some varieties are easier than others to grow, too: Cascade and Chinook have been my biggest producers--and I cannot get Willamette to grow worth a damn.

Put some effort this winter into getting the site set up (deep, fertile, well draining soil) and the trellis figured out and all should be well come spring.

Thanks David for the heads up, I know it can easily get to 100 down here in the summer, this last year it didn't even seem we had a spring, we went straight from winter to summer.

Cram:
I've been worried about the winds too and curious to their effects on the crop. Has there been any extra precautions you've taken to help against the winds? (extra support, strategic blockage, etc?)

Back