Growing Hops in Ecuador

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMadHopper

Reaction score
Hey guys, I live and brew in Ecuador and along with a few other brewers want to try growing some hops here but I need help picking the right kind.

Ecuador has some really intense climate and with Rain forests, 20,000ft peaks and beaches. We will probably try to grow in each of areas to see what works best.

So one location will be near Quito which is in the sierras at around 9000ft. Its a fairly mild climate (not to dry, not to wet) the temperature stays mostly between 60F-90F year round.

We might try a place a little lower down that is a bit warmer and has a lot more rain

and then we want to try to grow near the beach. The beach is pretty hot and humid year round but gets lots of moisture.

One of the main problems that I for see is the length of days here. Since Ecuador is located on the equator so year round daylight is about 12 hrs give or take a little bit. So we could potential grow year round but the daylight might be a problem because I know hops like about 16hrs of light.

Any suggestions guys? I figure Cascade, Red Hook, and Chinook were probably good starting places

Do! Its a fun place and although the craft brew scene is pretty small its starting to gain momentum. If you ever end up down this way drop me a line, I work in a hostel in Quito and could recommend places in other cities.

Just joined...I am in Cuenca.I will ask my resident gardner.Drop in some time. Have you found any homebrew stores?

The very little research I have done into hop growing would suggest that while you might possibly get the hop plants to grow if the temperature is in the range suggested for the plants, they won't flower without the longer hours of daylight. For this reason I have decided not to try and grow them here (I'm only slightly further from the equator than you are.)

But if you do decide to try, please keep us updated on your progress - I for one am interested...

You can try using lights. I have heard of people living close to the equator using lights to create longer days for their plants and getting flowers because of it. It may be worth a shot!

I live in Ecuador too, and looking to grow my own hops as well, but live near the beach. Looking for land thought a little bit more in the mountains to have my own farm. I'm curious what you've found may work best here. Also, where do you buy your brew supplies or did you build everything yourself?

I've been to a few bars in Quito and Baños that had some pretty decent micro brews. It's good to know somehow it's possible!

Sweet thanks guys.
As of yet im still working on getting the rhizoms down here so havnt been able to test to much yet but as for supplies im brewing on a 1bbl system that a guy made for us to brew beer for a hostel but it was fairly expensive and you can easily get large pots around that would be a fraction of the price. Try checking out mercado libre, ive seen a tower system on there made of 15 gallon kegs

For ingredients weve been trying to bring everything down our selves as we come and go to the states but the home brew club has a few things I think, its called seca or something like that

And next time im in Cuenca we can go grab a beer or something!

Great to see other home brewers in this part of the world. Is it hard to find grains, hops,yeast?
Also, I am going to try and pack enough ingredients for 2 batches in my suitcases when we fly down. Has anyone had any trouble getting this stuff through customs? thanks!

You shouldn't have too much of a problem just make sure to tell them its for home brewing. Oh and try to make sure to have pellets and not whole hops.

I brought down a 44lb box of falconer's flight and got stopped in customs but after a lot of explaining that it was seedless/non plant-able/non-grow-able matter they let me through. But it was pretty funny trying to explain the concept of "Lupulos" to them haha

As for getting supplies down here its not super easy but I believe there is a home brew club which sells stuff. If im not mistaken its called SECA or something

You shouldn't have too much of a problem just make sure to tell them its for home brewing. Oh and try to make sure to have pellets and not whole hops.

I brought down a 44lb box of falconer's flight and got stopped in customs but after a lot of explaining that it was seedless/non plant-able/non-grow-able matter they let me through. But it was pretty funny trying to explain the concept of "Lupulos" to them haha

As for getting supplies down here its not super easy but I believe there is a home brew club which sells stuff. If im not mistaken its called SECA or something
Thanks MadHopper,

That's funny cause I was just looking in to brewing that falconer's flight IPA. We should all network down there to get a good supply chain going. I think there is a pub in Banos that has some connections for regular stuff out of Quito. I plan on checking with them on our way down to Cuenca in October.

I'm in Quito so hit me up when you arrive and we can talk about things, i can see if I can get you in contact with the home brew club here (though Ive never really talked any of them but I think I know the president) or if worst comes to worst I can sell some malt to you after you arrive

I appreciate the "shameles self-promo" Wish I knew when we were there last March. (nothing but Club and Pilsner :( I will definately stop by on our move down there in October. That Coffee Porter looks amazing.

Is there any update on this post. I live near Cuenca and am looking for a supplier as well. Please let me know any information.

Also everyone in Quito should check out this new Brewery www.bandidobrewing.com ( yes, im affiliated haha, a little shameless self promotion!) But the beers are pretty good, designed for a pallet accustom to the styles brewed in the Pacific North West ( Of the U.S.A)

I appreciate the "shameles self-promo" Wish I knew when we were there last March. (nothing but Club and Pilsner :( I will definately stop by on our move down there in October. That Coffee Porter looks amazing.

Is there any update on this post. I live near Cuenca and am looking for a supplier as well. Please let me know any information.

Bumping bump bump thread necro!!! Back from the living dead.

Oooh, never got a chance to try Bandido but my SO did, loved it and brought me a tshirt. Club and Pilsner just don't cut it for me XD (except Club Negra which was yum)

Going to be there brewing in the hopefully near future and need to get my act together on ingredients too. We're looking at properties and hoping to brew out of the basement and backyard.

Also everyone in Quito should check out this new Brewery www.bandidobrewing.com ( yes, im affiliated haha, a little shameless self promotion!) But the beers are pretty good, designed for a pallet accustom to the styles brewed in the Pacific North West ( Of the U.S.A)

High... I am in Ibarra and Yachay. I have seeds arriving, but no cuttings. How is your project coming along? Anyone in Ecuador growing from seeds?

jack

Hey Jack,

We haven't started growing anything yet, simply don't have the time.
Brewing is going well though! and from what I understand its pretty hard to grow from the seeds as opposed to the rhizomes.

They popped out of the ground @ about 4 weeks, and are maybe 4-5 inches tall now.

They looked super prosperous for a few weeks, but have slowed down now, which is odd , the way stuff grows around here.

Swing by and eyeball them if you like.

Have I seen you around Cotacachi?

DEFINITELY give it a try ! 2 years ago I planted one rhyzome in Brazil and EVERYONE told me I am CRAZY !

Party because of My craziness, now there are atleast 20 farms with over 500 plants here. One which has over 4000 plants.

We now have a hop growers group with over 3000 people. We have sold over 1200 clones and 1000 rhyzomes her.

This plant adapts well !! We now have over 500 plants with over 50 varieties. A few did not do well, some did ok. Most are worth keeping and a handful are first year monsters!!!

I just imported some seeds. I am in Ibarra Ecuador. I work in a botanical garden in Yachay (Yachay Botanical Garden). I put my seeds in the frig. I am giving them 3 months. I will try to plant some in March. I will update here and let everyone know what is going on. I sure wish I could have planted some plants, but seeds is the best I could do...

mraroid

I just imported some seeds. I am in Ibarra Ecuador. I work in a botanical garden in Yachay (Yachay Botanical Garden). I put my seeds in the frig. I am giving them 3 months. I will try to plant some in March. I will update here and let everyone know what is going on. I sure wish I could have planted some plants, but seeds is the best I could do...

mraroid

I was with a small tour group @ Yachay on Friday!

We basically just got to tour the gardens and the grounds.

Neat place!

mraroid
Hello I’m Ecuadorian and I live in NYC. I just started home brewing and want some hops from the mother land. I would like to buy some for my next batch. Thank you.

mraroid
I would like some hops from the motherland. I’m in nyc and making beer at home. Please message back. Thank you.

I would like some hops from the motherland. I’m in nyc and making beer at home. Please message back. Thank you.

To my knowledge, there are no Hops "indigenous" to the "Motherland".........Hence the "imported".

Mine are not really prospering yet.
They pop up, then die back, but they are very healthy when they sprout!

I started reading this thread and saw lots of discussions about Equador so skipped most of the comments - if this has been said already, i apologise.

In South Africa we grow hops under lights see here https://www.countrylife.co.za/localflavours/farming-hops

i don't know how much the original plants have been manipulated to handle our conditions, but the hops grown here are awesome.

I am interested in whether american varieties can handle the harsher climates of other areas, especially South Africa/Australia where the sun is way harsher due to the thinner ozone layer, and less clouds.

i don't know how much the original plants have been manipulated to handle our conditions, but the hops grown here are awesome.

I am interested in whether american varieties can handle the harsher climates of other areas, especially South Africa/Australia where the sun is way harsher due to the thinner ozone layer, and less clouds.

Plant them and see!

Anxiously awaiting your research!

Yea, photoperiod around the equator is not ideal for hops. For one, the day length never reaches the minimum required for dormancy, the lack of which is associated to poor growth and yield. After that, the critical daylength tends to be much longer than your maximum, so this is another factor reducing yield.

High... I am in Ibarra and Yachay. I have seeds arriving, but no cuttings. How is your project coming along? Anyone in Ecuador growing from seeds?

jack
Did anyone ever succeed in growing hops in the sierra? I'm planning to retire there in a few years myself, so I have been thinking a lot about growing issues. I think that if it will not flower without dormancy, then trim it down to the rhizome, dig it up, wrap it in plastic and stick it in the fridge for two months, then replant. You can't do it with a peach tree, but rhizomes should be totally doable. As a future expat and longtime experimental brewer, I'd love to chat sometime. I'm at [email protected]

Back