growing high ABV yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Begin2Brew

Searching for the perfect beer one at a time
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well reading though a few threads on DFH 120 I am wondering if using starters with high ABV would allow the tolerant yeast to grow and continue to multiply? Anyone ever try this?

I've never tried this, but it's generally frowned upon. Yeast never guet used to high alcohol, so all you're doing is stressing the yeast. It's better to have tons of healthy "normal" yeast cells, than stressed out "tolerant" cells.

Bad idea. Alcohol is toxic to yeast, you'll end up with unhealthy yeast that won't survive the long haul. The trick to this beer is building up a MUCH larger pitch than you feel is necessary.

I had a 6 quart starter of WLP007 and 1gallon starter of WLP099 for my 120 clone. Worked out great. Starters were around 1.035

Thanks guys, I figured someone would have done it so when the search featured failed I had a feeling this would be the answer.

Thanks guys, I figured someone would have done it so when the search featured failed I had a feeling this would be the answer.

Yep, just pitch a ton of yeast, and don't plan on reusing the yeast after the fermentation is finished. High gravity beers stress yeast (high osmotic pressure as well as the additional alcohol stress.)

Plan on pitching 2 million cells/mL/degree plato for big beers (20P+) where you might pitch 1.3 million/mL/degree for a lower test brew.

Back