Growing barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivan

Reaction score
I live in the pacific NW and I would like to plant some barley for an experiment in home malting. Does anyone have any suggestions for planting times and harvesting times, Also where I could buy the barley seed, what variety of barley, pretty much if anyone has any experience in this I would love to hear any suggestions and tips, thanks a bunch! oh wheat too, i wanna try a heff.
-Ivan

There's a book called the Homebrewer's Garden that you'll want to check out. You can probably get it from your local library. It'll tell you planting times, etc. As fas as a seed supplier goes, I looked a little online and I don't know where you'll find a supplier. I think I remember seeing that you don't want the type of two row barley they use as animal feed b/c it is lower quality.

Yes, I heard you have to choose your grain carfuly, thanks for the tip. have to go get that book.

A variety called Golden Promise is used a lot in Scotland, both for malting for beer and whisky production.

You may be able to pick it up in the states

HTH

80/-

Latest posts

Back