Grow barley and hops at home

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louisjamesbanks

Reaction score
Hello, I have recently purchased a 50 square foot allotment and have a shed on there. I wish to brew my own beer in that shed whilst growing the hops and barley and other ingredients (apart form the yeast) on my allotment.

My question is, what will I need to actually grow in order to make beer i.e. a list of hops, barley and if there is any other that I need to grow.

Secondly, what do I do with these precursors, do I dry them out before fermenting them in a fermenter/ carboy or are there other steps here.

And finally, is my land big enough to do maybe 1 or 2 brews of 40 pints per month?

Thanks

50 square feet isn't much for barley. My own opinion would be just to go with hops and buy the barley. Or buy more land, alot more. And harvesting equipment. But as far as what type of hops, figure out what's in the beers you like to drink and go from there.

http://homebrew.stackexchange.com/q...quare-feet-of-planted-barley-pounds-of-grains

you aren't going to get much barley at all, and you're still going to have to malt it yourself. if the above link is correct, and you dedicate the entire allotment to barley, you'll get 1-3 pounds per season.

still, sounds like a fun thing to try. personally, i would just devote the entire space to hops.

Sorry to be a newbie here but, in terms of gardening, what is the grow time of hops?

Can't help you much myself other than to tell you to search this forum under hops growing I believe.

Back